Should i buy the 9800XT?

I'm having some trouble coming to a conclusion on whether i should buy the ATI Radeon 9800XT or if i should wait for the R420 chipset. Just wondering what you guys thought about them.

And one more question....Is there an official release date set for the R420 chipset???

Thanks in advance! :D

Just buy a saphire Radeon 9800 pro like me, like half the price of a 9800 XT for almost identical performance (xt obviously has a slight advantage... but still), unless of course money is no object for you... then get the 9800XT then buy the R420 when that comes out and chuck out the 9800XT since it is inferior!

Just buy a saphire Radeon 9800 pro like me, like half the price of a 9800 XT for almost identical performance (xt obviously has a slight advantage... but still), unless of course money is no object for you... then get the 9800XT then buy the R420 when that comes out and chuck out the 9800XT since it is inferior!

Can i use the ATI Drivers or do i have to use Saphire's drivers?

I would suggest Omega's, with that they come with a nice o/c utility 'radlinker', works great :)

Though I do wish he would hurry up with the 4.3's lol

I'm either going to get the 9800XT or I'm going to wait for the R420.....So what do you think i should do.

I'm leaning towards waiting for the R420 but i don't know how long it will be before it comes out. Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I'm really sick of my old PCI Radeon 7500 64MB :x ....

If I were in your position, I would wait a bit & see the specs & benchmarks on R420. By then 9800XT prices should go down as well, but probably Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro's 128MB would be all sold out.

If I were in your position, I would wait a bit & see the specs & benchmarks on R420. By then 9800XT prices should go down as well, but probably Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro's 128MB would be all sold out.

Yeah...i think I'm gonna wait...After all...a couple more paychecks and i'll prolly be able to afford the r420 when it comes out. Is it true that it's suppose to be close to twice as fast as the 9800XT?? :huh:

<EDIT> So then does anyone know if there is a release date for the R420??? </EDIT>

Ask yourself this. Do you feel like spending over $400 on a card that will only be the top performer for another month or two? The new cards will be around the same price, and should be out by May.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

P4 3.2 HT

WesternDigital 30GB

ATI Radeon 7500 64MB PCI :x

256MB Kingston HyperX

I'm buying a couple more sticks of RAM really soon. Prolly at the same time i buy my new video card. I also need a bigger hard drive. BUt thats beside the point :D

ummm, I got my sapphire radeon 9800 pro for $190 a month ago... dunno what websites you guys buy from, but definately worth it since I was upgrading from a glorified geforce 2 :)