DHCP and DNS Errors ....internet connection dying

I think I posted in the wrong forum earlier yesterday sorry.....anyways here is my problem: I am running my computer through a switch which is hooked into an ethernet wall jack (uplink port) in a dorm room. My internet connection will just die out after a while and I am left with these things repeatedly in the event viewer:

EVENT ID 1003

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00A0CC354A22. The following error occured:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

EVENT ID 11161

The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter

with settings:

Adapter Name : {B157D7D5-E38B-4D9A-B911-A32D3B67DCF0}

Host Name : xxxx

Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : xxx.edu

DNS server list :

129.105.49.1, 165.124.49.21

Sent update to server : None

IP Address : xxx.xx.xx.xx

The reason the system could not register these RRs during the update request was because of a system problem. You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator. For specific error code, see the record data displayed below.

ANY IDEAS AT ALL???!!! I think the problem might have occured when I added the switch.......why would that happen?

sure I replied 2 this B4, and I cant be assed doing it again

the switch is more than likely stopping your pc from returning the keep alive signal 2 the DHCP server

Well, you need to contact your ResNet about this. My school (GA Tech) gives one IP per student. So, if I wanted to use my computer and laptop at the same time, I need a router. Also, my school's DHCP server gives near infinite lease times. It looks like your school's only last a little while. Ask them about that too. Also, where did you plug in the switch to the wall? On the uplink port (good) or one of the normal ports (bad) ?

I have it hooked into the uplink port :)...its a linksys switch...and i really dont wanna mess with the router becuz it will change my ip and i will have to reconfigure my ftp heh.....but thats for the info...i was gonna talk to my rescon but i didnt' wanna go find him so i decided to post.....thanks for the info...its been working nicely all day today...i dunno...i guess i have to ask him whats up