MSN Messenger 4

Don't we all want to be able to use a webcam with MSN Messenger for Mac, see emoticons, have and view other people's display pics, even use audio or play games together - all those features that they have on windows.

I knew this would happen - didn't really surprise me, just annoyed me realy!

To add insult to injury though, Next Month they'll release MSN Messenger 6.2 for Windows, in June we'll see MSN Messenger 4 for Mac and to make things worse, to celebrate MSN Messengers 5th Birthday this year in July, they'll release MSN Messenger 7 for Windows.

U can see what they're doing! - someone should tell the Mac Business Unit at Microsoft to start updating and working with the MSN developers on the same features at the same time so software like msn messenger can be released for both platforms at the same time and so that it works cross platform - it's not too hard a task to do, but this is Microsoft!

I agree with RJT. When I started using OS X, I was pretty satisfied with the whole experience. What I didn't like though was the terrible feature parity when it comes to Microsoft applications. Don't get me wrong, I think the Mac BU is doing a good job with Office 2004, and MSN Explorer and Messenger on the Mac look real nice, but not having at least the same major features (i.e. webcam, audio support; leave the fluff out I say :)) as the Windows versions is a real let down.

Why can't Microsoft be like companies like Adobe and produce software that provides roughly the same user experience across platfoms? I guess the problem is that Microsoft just won't.

Office 2004 has features that 2003 for windows doesn't have.

Except for not having infopath and a few other apps, I think Office for mac is better and has more features then the windows version.

MSN 4 is laking a lot of features though, but I use adium anyway.

Because they don't have to to make a profit.....

Huh??? Who doesn't have to make a profit? Were you referring to Microsoft's MacBU or to Adobe, or what? Either way, your comment makes no sense.

Huh??? Who doesn't have to make a profit? Were you referring to Microsoft's MacBU or to Adobe, or what? Either way, your comment makes no sense.

He is saying that MS is making enough money making stuff with less features, so they have no reason to add anything...

He is saying that MS is making enough money making stuff with less features, so they have no reason to add anything...

Oh, OK, I see what he meant now. I guess mentally I had dropped one of those to's out of his sentence. When you do that, it really doesn't make sense at all. :rolleyes:

Just to let everyone know that it's not the Mac BU apparenly that make MSN Messenger for Mac and that it's the MSN team at Microsoft that develop these features.

There is a way to get their attention and get them to impliment these new features, but it would mean that as many people as possible must contact them through their contact site at the link below and complain, moan and request the new features that MSN Messenger 6 has. Otherwise they won't listen and won't bother. It'll take at least a few thousand complaints to really make them jump, but all help is appreciated!

http://messenger.msn.com/Help/ContactUs.aspx

There's the link, the more people that fill the form in requesting the features and send it back, the more chance they will listen, petitions and other methods are being discarded and they only listen to feature requests based on the volume they get from users.

There's the link, the more people that fill the form in requesting the features and send it back, the more chance they will listen, petitions and other methods are being discarded and they only listen to feature requests based on the volume they get from users.

Thanks for the info. I filled out the form. Hopefully the fact that I'm an MSN beta tester will have a little bit of extra pull.

Thanks - I've also passed on the petition to MSN's Development Managers, so that's as good as another 6,257 people filling in the form and sending it off to them, but I still feel that we should show number's if we really want to make them jump we'll need a lot people filling in the form and sending it back to them!

In the message I sent to them that includes the Petition & Signatures, I also stated that it would be good to see these new features available in MSN Messenger version 4 for Mac, even if it means pushing back the release date slightly to do so. We've waited for almost a year now since the last real update to MSN Messenger for Mac, and people are becoming impatient, so hopefully we may get some progress!

Whether or not it be MSN Messenger 4 is released in June and to co-incide with the launch of MSN Messenger 7 for windows in July to celebrate MSN Messenger's 5th birthday they also release MSN Messenger 5 for Mac with the new features I'm not sure. I would hope so, otherwise we're going to have to give them a headache, bombarding them with requests and posts - as many as possible - until they can't take it any more and finally give in!

There won't be until June when the new version is released!

well, it's not entirely true.....

there IS a link but according to neowin's rule... you know what I/people are gonna say :)

Nevermind on my last post. (New to the whole shwagg here.) I just finished reading the dicussion/forum rules, and found out "soliciting" links to software is not allowed. :ninja:

However, once I get around it, I'll try and do my best to pass some good info along to you guys!