Laptop screen for desktop?

I have a spare IBM thinkpad A21e which is not working, and i was thinking of taking the thing apart and using the screen as a monitor for my server machine, has anyone successfully used a LCD screen from a laptop and connected it to a desktop machine?

I have googled it and found some information about the connectors, seem that i might need some type of inverter for the ribbon from the lcd.

Can anyone give me more information about this, and if so can i get the part needed in the uk ?

Darti

A friend of mine did it and the only problem he had was power as the laptop screen needed pretty low power (after all it was designed to run off a battery) and finding an adapter was a bit of a bitch IIRC. Other than that it worked just fine. He attached a few hooks to the back and hangs it on the wall like a picture :D

the adapters generally cost more that it would for you to buy say a 17" crt monitor.. or at least thats what ive found

its usually not worth the $$ to do

IIRC he made the adapter by buying lots of bits he needed and doing it himself. He also destroyed the laptop he got it from (was dead anyway so wasn't a problem). It did cost him a lot but this was 2 or 3 years ago when flat screen monitors were really expensive so it was cheaper to do what he did.