Graphic Design Computer?

Hey everyone,

My father's looking for to buy a new computer to do some of his art on. Right now, he is using an old Dell PC with a fairly new Wacom Intuos 2 graphics tablet. He would like to get a Mac (G5 or iMac) but is concerned about:

• 1) learning a new OS and
    2) having it network with the PC (he wants to shuttle pictures and other data around).

Money isn't too much of a concern because the cost will be realitively the same (already done some research). The question is, should he get a Mac or PC? Budget's around $3,000 max (including software).

So what is everyone's advice?

Thanks all.

[EDIT]How much memory also. Mod's please stick this in the graphic design area.[/EDIT]

Edited by Jstphish

He's looking into the 20" iMac (sorry I didn't mention that). So you'd go with the Apple Studio display (17"?). I would think the color matching would be great with any of the apple LCD monitors?

He's looking into the 20" iMac (sorry I didn't mention that). So you'd go with the Apple Studio display (17"?). I would think the color matching would be great with any of the apple LCD monitors?

Well, I was talking about Apple LCD's in general ;)

Oh ok, thanks for the input. I'm gald to hear they network well together. I really want him to get a Mac because it's great for pro graphics work (he makes corperate art on the side right now) and the OS is insanely easy to use (I want my mom to get one too because I'm sick of her calling me at school asking questions about windows).

If it's mainly for graphics and you've got that large a budget, a Mac would be your best bet. If you're going to bother, at least go for 512MB of RAM and 1GB if that option is available. Also a nice widescreen LCD would do nicely.

Thanks for the input. I just thought of something else. Is there anything on a Mac like windows Paint (or the old MacPaint), maybe an updated version of MacPaint, for creating basic shapes quickly? I've search on google and didn't find anything.

If it's mainly for graphics and you've got that large a budget, a Mac would be your best bet.

why the hell are you saying that?

it's been proven here on neowin time after time after with actual real world stats that going with PC, no matter what budget size is better. much larger choices in hardware and software

The reason that a lot of people get macs for graphics and stuff is mostly because that's all they want to do with it. A mac would be a good choice if you don't want to have to deal with all the extra stuff windows gives. Macs are just like - boom, photoshop, there it is. Boom, video editing, there it is. Some people like that, some don't. Depends on your preference.

The reason that a lot of people get macs for graphics and stuff is mostly because that's all they want to do with it. A mac would be a good choice if you don't want to have to deal with all the extra stuff windows gives. Macs are just like - boom, photoshop, there it is. Boom, video editing, there it is. Some people like that, some don't. Depends on your preference.

I'm pretty sure I could do everything I currently do on my PC on a Mac, only better. So it's not "only" Photoshop, or Video Editing.

But like you said, it's a matter of preference. ;)

I didn't say that you couldn't do things on a Mac that you could do on a PC - I said that there are some things that you don't have to do on a mac that you do on a pc.

$3,000 max (including software)

I'm not sure how much hardware you're going to have left over if you're building a graphic editing box. I assume you'll want at least one or maybe two high-end displays, say the 20" Apple LCD or a pair of 20" Professional grade CRT displays, that's going to eat up 50% of your budget ~$1500 after taxes and warranties. Tack on photoshop at ($649) and maybe illustrator ($499) and you haven't got a whole lot of spare change.

If I were to buy a PowerMac today for design and graphics work I'd probably look at the Dual 1.8 ($2499) with a 20" Cinema display ($1299). I'd spend any "extra" money on memory. A pair of 1gb sticks will set you back about $300 for quality parts.

You're looking at about $4100 + whatever software you want for a very respectable machine. Sadly that blows your budget to hell.

By all accounts the single 1.6 G5 just isn't a good price/performance machine and the G4 iMac is aging (I've got a 1ghz model in my garage - it's not terribly swift) and IMO you'd be served as well by a 17" powerbook but you have the added benefits of mobility and size. Better still would be an old PowerMac G4 which you can still order here for $1299:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/powermacg4/

You get all the features of the iMac, but more expandability and you'll be able to use whatever display (I recommend a 20" Cinema display) when you upgrade.

If you're going to spend ANY money for graphics work it just makes sense to put most of it into the displays. A quality monitor (or two) will out last the useful life of your computer several times over. As a designer - it's your window to your work, so it better be the best you can get.

For you

Dual 1.25ghz G4 Powermac: $1599

20" Cinema Display: $1299

+2gb of RAM: $180

The dual 1.5 will outperform the single 1.6 90% of the time, the screen is separate from the computer so you can use it when you upgrade, and the G4 is much more upgradeable than either the G5 or iMac.

That still leaves you buying software - I'm not sure what you're looking for or if you apply for upgrade versions but I'm sure you can work that out on your own.

Awesome advice, the evn show. I suggested that he get the 20" iMac because all he really is going to use it for is scanning in his studies (small idea of what he might put on canvas), cleaning them up and then putting them on cd to hand out to prospective corporate clients and galleries so I think that the dual powermac G4 would be a bit over kill. Then again, I think he might be starting to do more of the studies on the PC he currently has so maybe it wouldn't be over kill. Just to let you all know, the real art he does is with good old canvas and paint where he deals mostly with large paintings.

BTW, MxxCon, my father's really is only going to be using it for artwork, email and maybe the occasional internet jaunt. He's works with several different types of computers and OS's at his job (Unix, etc.) so he really doesn't want to come home and have to work on another one that long. They don't have Mac's where he works so I thought it would be a nice change for to work on something that is simple, efficent and visually pleasing out of the box.

ps. Again (as said above already), Is there anything on a Mac like windows Paint (or the old MacPaint), maybe an updated version of MacPaint, for creating basic shapes quickly? I've search on google and didn't find anything.

Edited by Jstphish

BTW, MxxCon, my father's really is only going to be using it for artwork, email and maybe the occasional internet jaunt.  He's works with several different types of computers and OS's at his job (Unix, etc.) so he really doesn't want to come home and have to work on another one that long.  They don't have Mac's where he works so I thought it would be a nice change for to work on something that is simple, efficent and visually pleasing out of the box.

so if he's going to be doing such basic things, is it really sensible to spend so much money on something that won't be used to it's fullest potential?

and what exactly do you mean "visually pleasing out of the box"? you like how their cases look? ShuttleXPC or Alienware cases are just as "pleasing"

and it seems like you already made up your mind even before making this thread so what's the point of making it in the 1st place? :huh:

so if he's going to be doing such basic things, is it really sensible to spend so much money on something that won't be used to it's fullest potential?

and what exactly do you mean "visually pleasing out of the box"? you like how their cases look? ShuttleXPC or Alienware cases are just as "pleasing"

and it seems like you already made up your mind even before making this thread so what's the point of making it in the 1st place? :huh:

It is possible that he might be doing more designing on the computer rather than by hand so having the power there is nice if he decides to use it.

The OS is visually pleasing out of the box (don't even start on how you can customize XP ... I'm talking, no hacks, no programs, it just looks good out of the box ... for an artist this is important).

The reason I made the thread is to see what everyone else thinks he should get, not just what I think (Personally I agree with the evn show; he should get the dual 1.25GHz G4). I'm not an artist and I haven't owned a Mac before, so people who are doing art on computers have a better idea of what to get than I do.

what kind of an artist waste his time looking at how pretty os is instead of actually working :rolleyes:

anyway, i'm done with this pointless thread since any type of discussion will be rebutted by you in favor of osx

A PC. At least if you plan on designing for a few years. See the front page article about Adobe pulling more products from the Mac platform? That trend will continue I'm afraid.

what kind of an artist waste his time looking at how pretty os is instead of actually working :rolleyes:

anyway, i'm done with this pointless thread since any type of discussion will be rebutted by you in favor of osx

MxxCon, why do you always have to argue with everybody ... in every thread? Therefore, I'm glad you won't be posting in this one anymore. You never add anything constructive. Also, no kidding any type of discussion will be rebutted by me in favor of osx. I said I wanted him to get one. Do you actually read? Anyway, I'm trying to be open to either choice since I don't really know what is best for him. I do thank all of you who add constructively to this thread for posting. You help is greatly appreciated.

Ok PC users, is there a PC equivalent to the 20" apple cinema display? (ergo, a widescreen LCD display for PC's) and if so what? Lokheed, what is the program called?

Edited by Jstphish