University in Canada

I need help looking for a univercity in Canada. Looking at Ryerson University. Very lost when it comes to these kind of things.

I've just done my O Levels, and now doing As Levels. Looking to move to a univercity two years from now - After my A Levels. Thinking of doing anything related to computers or technology. Dont really know which one to pick. I want to do Programming, and Web Design. Somewhere along that line.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

computers & technology?  University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario.  Without a doubt.

http://www.uwaterloo.ca/

totally agree

Waterloo is the way to go

you don't want to be stuck at Ryerson like i am right now :laugh:

although we are getting a new computer science building next year....

i do go to Ryerson for comp sci BTW, it's not the greatest program in the world

i have friend that go to Waterloo for comp sci, if u can get in to 'loo then i say go for it!!

Waterloo, waterloo, waterloo. I go there and the CS program is the best in the world (according to us). We also have lotsa fun bashing the arts students :D . Don't worry about getting in, you need mid 80's and you'll get into co-op CS.

EDIT: The waterloo computer science program is highly theory oriented (unlike some schools). Chances are, you're not gonna learn HTML and Javascript and that other BS. In fact, you will only learn Scheme (functional language) and C++ (OOP). That's one and a half courses. Everything else revolves around trees, lists, hashtables, regular expressions, contex-free and context sensitive grammars, etc.

Just a quick tip though. If you want to get into any university, I suggest you spell university right. ;)

I'd suggest the University of Alberta, but I hated the comp sci program they had..absolutely hated it.

Whoops, my wrong :p... Mind you, my spelling is usually spot on.

The internet sites arent very helpful though. Its quite sad. Only site I found helpful out of them all is www.scholarshipscanada.com. Trying to get a scholarship from Brunei. Too bad my student counsellor isnt that friendly. Just one thing we need is an unfriendly student counsellor.

Hard to decide which course Im going to do too. Aarrrggghhh. If only I had a proper ambition. Any good ambitions out there with computer related activities?

In Canada, we have a Time Magazine-like magazine called MacLean's. Every year, they publish an University Guide. Look for it. It's a place to start.

Ryerson is easy to get in, but I heard it's quite difficult, and unfortunately it isn't as prestigious as the "big names" (UofT, Waterloo, McGill in Montreal, etc.)

I went to McMaster University in Hamilton. It was nice. Waterloo isn't too bad, they are a big favourite for tech job recruiters like Microsoft and RIM. Good luck finding any women on campus, though. :p

Waterloo isn't too bad, they are a big favourite for tech job recruiters like Microsoft and RIM.  Good luck finding any women on campus, though. :p

very true. Microsoft recruits (or tries to) the top students every year from what I understand.

Women isn't a problem :| The niteclubs nearby are filled with university girls every weekend.

I graduated from the Waterloo Computer Science program last year with co-op and software engineering option. Waterloo taught me how to work 18 hours straight, drink, and memorize 3 months worth of theory to be regurgitated in 3 hours.

A warning to you: You won't get any formal training in languages. You're expected to learn the language on your own and use it to do the assignments. You won't learn HTML, Javascript, ASP, JSP, Perl, etc. The main languages at Waterloo are Java and C++. C# might be used, but it wasn't when I was there. Most of the stuff you would learn is theory that you could apply to any programming language. If you can get into the co-op program, that's where you'll probably really learn how to use the languages.

Waterloo isn't the best place for web design and computer graphics; it's mostly theory and probably too 'artsy' for CS students. :p

In Canada, we have a Time Magazine-like magazine called MacLean's. Every year, they publish an University Guide. Look for it. It's a place to start.

McLeans's is heavily biased and Universities adjust their teaching practices to reflect being a better school. Admission averages are boosted (so only the "smart" people get in). I'll go as far as to say that grades are more likely inflated to make them look better.

IMO , if you can choose some place close to home. Also consider how many full time staff there are teaching the program. At Carleton and Ottawa U, they've cut back the staff considerably. Some of the Temps are actually better teachers though. Talk to people that are in the program .

UT is probably a great school. But its consitently ranked the best. I don't believe it. University is about how much work you put into your work .... and you get that in return afterwards. Employers don't really care if you go to Ryerson, Carleton, McGill, etc unless they're idiots. If they are biased towards certain schools, work elsewhere.

what about toronto? :)

www.utoronto.ca

Yea, you can learn Turing. http://www.turing.toronto.edu/

Q. "So professor, Can I go get job once I learn Turing?"

A. "Actually no, but it's a great language to teach."

Q. "So after I spend countless hours learning a useless language I will be better prepared to start learning something useful?"

A. "Something like that."

Women isn't a problem  The niteclubs nearby are filled with university girls every weekend.

Just make sure if you go to Waterloo that you become Asian so you fit in. :p

I don't know how Western (UWO) fits in with computer science but I have a couple of friends taking it who enjoy it. Plus the campus is gorgeous, and the women...wow. Just great. Why the hell do I go to Fanshawe? Honestly....

Wave,Mar 23 2004, 12:12] Just make sure if you go to Waterloo that you become Asian so you fit in. :p

Did you go to UofW? I didn't but I've lived here all my life and have quite a few friends who have attended. (or are attending) You're spot on when you say that there are many Asians at UofW enrolled in Comp Sci, but its definately not the whole campus.

Theres girls all over the place. When Uni is on, you can really tell in the clubs, because suddenly theres girls everywhere, of all backgrounds.

Wave,Mar 23 2004, 17:12] Just make sure if you go to Waterloo that you become Asian so you fit in. :p

lol! Sooo true. But the problem is, most of those asians suck at CS. The average in my CS course of 63. That class is mostly asians. But when it comes to math, those asians just fly through it.

lol! Sooo true. But the problem is, most of those asians suck at CS. The average in my CS course of 63. That class is mostly asians. But when it comes to math, those asians just fly through it.

Not to generalize or anything.

McLeans's is heavily biased and Universities adjust their teaching practices to reflect being a better school. Admission averages are boosted (so only the "smart" people get in). I'll go as far as to say that grades are more likely inflated to make them look better.

IMO , if you can choose some place close to home. Also consider how many full time staff there are teaching the program. At Carleton and Ottawa U, they've cut back the staff considerably. Some of the Temps are actually better teachers though. Talk to people that are in the program .

UT is probably a great school. But its consitently ranked the best. I don't believe it. University is about how much work you put into your work .... and you get that in return afterwards. Employers don't really care if you go to Ryerson, Carleton, McGill, etc unless they're idiots. If they are biased towards certain schools, work elsewhere.

I hear ya. I am a Carleton student (History BA.Hon.) in my fourth year and I am still puzzled as to why the school is considered so poor. Aside from money being diverted from the arts (we're losing so many sessionals, etc.), I just don't see the problem. I think people just expect their education to be given to them or that the world will be presented to them on a buffet table. I still have not had a bad professor in my entire experience here.

Did you go to UofW? I didn't but I've lived here all my life and have quite a few friends who have attended. (or are attending) You're spot on when you say that there are many Asians at UofW enrolled in Comp Sci, but its definately not the whole campus.

Theres girls all over the place. When Uni is on, you can really tell in the clubs, because suddenly theres girls everywhere, of all backgrounds.

oh yeah...the clubs (and girls), the parties (and girls), and Fed Hall (and girls). If you still can't find any girls, take a walk to the high school down the street (laurier).

Should've gotten better marks if it weren't for them.

My peeve about UT (and I hear it a lot from UT friends), is the travel time. Depending on where you live, it could be a 1.5 hour car/bus/subway ride to the campus.

And employers pretty much only care about what school you went to and your marks for your first job. After that, it's all about prior work experience.