need help choosing a cell phone

mom wants a cell phone so i have to find a phone and and plan for her. everything i've seen is confusing.

she doesn't want a camera, games, internet, or any other fluffy stuff. she wants good coverage, ease of use, NOT expensive (no more than $30-40/month at most), and a battery that lasts a decent amount of time. the batteries in her previous cells have sucked. she only uses her phone as a last resort - no chatting or anything like that...

i would like to know what us companies you like and what their plans are like. any recommendations are welcome...tia

AT&T Go phone. No plans to keep up on. Buy the phone bring it home. Call AT&T and get it turned on pick a plan from a brochure (I've got the $70+ one cause I use it alot) But you can get one for $39 for 400 minutes and I think it was free weekends. Also the phone does not run like a normal one you use it till you run out of minutes and if you want it to auto charge a credit card they will do so ONLY when you get down to $5 left on you time. The phones cost anywhere from $80 to like $130 I think been awhile since I looked at them. Very happy with mine have not had any real problems with it. Best thing is no contracts just call and get it turned on only takes a few minutes.

Considering that you live in a totally different continent from me, I can only suggest cells to you. With your concerns to battery life, ease of use and simplicity, USUALLY Nokias fit into that category. Check out this page. OR you can also give this a shot. Hopefully those sites can help you. Also, read this to help you with knowing batteries and how to maintain them.

Again I stress to you that Nokias are usually the best for simplicity, ease of use and good battery life.

now she says she won't say more than $20/month because she only uses it a few times a year. no ****ing wonder the batteries die - they drain in the phone. i can't win. she's on her own.

thanks a ton for everything, guys...i really appreciate your help :yes:

AT&T is offering free flip phones this weekend.

I ordered the Motorola V60 Color Phone yesterday. It should arrive Tuesday with Free Overnight Shipping. The phone seems very nice, and I coupled it with a $19.99 Monthly Service. They also have a $29.99 service which includes 300 Minutes a month. The deal seems pretty sweet to me.

Link

All service providers offer some sort of free phone with a 1 yr commitment.. Couple that with one of the cheapest plans (which will run only ~$15-20/month) and you have yourself a perfect celly for the non-celly type.

Your best bet is to go wit either a TracPhone(Kmart, Wallmart, even Speedways have them) or Keep In Touch from Cingular, or anything of that nature. The beauty with those are, they are all prepaid. Most regular cell places have them At&t, Cingular, Verizon, U.S. Cellular, and like I said, TracPhones which you can buy from Kmart. You go in, buy the phone(anywhere from $50-$120) and you buy cards, they usual come in $5, $10, $20, $50, $100. No credit cards, you use only what you pay for. There is no way they can turn around and jack up the price on you :-D. You chose how much you pay. I work at a Cingular Store out in Chicago, so if you need any more help, I'm sure I could help you out with anything you need. Just PM or email me :-D

Tracphone is a good idea too. They are FUGLY though!! not eye pleasing at all. My dad had one a long time back.. It was almost as big as a Ti-83 calculator and twice as thick! They're better now, but they still arent nearly as pretty as some of the better regular ones.