Overclocking & Cooling Questions...

I have a question, let's say I wanted to overclock a 2.2GHz to 3.2GHz. Now, from what I've heard when you overclock, it's never a constant speed, is this true? Also, to keep my computer from burning up, is there a mainence-free way of keeping the computer cool? What I mean by that, what other methods other then liquid cooling is there (would a crapload of fans work?). And if I were to use a lot of fans, wouldn't the computer be very loud? Any method of keeping it quite and cool? Suggestions?

Thanks for checking my post,

Michael

crane, getting a P4 2.2 GHz up to 3.0 GHz isn't much of a hassle.. so I imagine 3.2 wouldn't be too hard either. However, it sounds like it *may* require the liquid. I don't think a lot of fans would really keep it cool unless you had the air from your freezer blowin' into your case.. LoL

the thing is, with liquid cooling dont you have to add water constantly? sort of like gas to car? heh i dont know of anyone over clocking their computers so i dont really know...

mike

Originally posted by Phil Gates  

hey, you could always move to antarctica and do it there

Actually not true. My dad is returning from a four month stay at the south pole station (population approx 200 people), so I know a little about the subject.

Antarctica is the dryest place on earth (even more than the Saharra Desert), and it turns out that the lack of hummidity prevents cooling like your thinking of. The best way to get it to 3 Ghz is to use pure liquid nitrogen. Nitrogen is NOT a conductor like water so feel free to pour some all over your motherboard, but make sure you dont crack any of the chips :D

Originally posted by crane  

Hey!  I heard of someone being able to over clock to 4GHz, so it can't be that impossible...

yeah... they overclocked to 4GHz in the world of Photoshop. (they edited the wcpuid image with photoshop to say 4ghz)...

but to get to 3.2, you would need liquid nitrogen. watercooling wouldn't do the job.

Originally posted by Phil Gates  

wouldn't you be able to use mineral oil instead of liquid nitrogen?

rofl wtf mineral oil?

btw Weasel, only problem with getting liquid nitrogen on your motherboard (other than cracking something) would be the chance of condensation damaging it.

rofl wtf mineral oil?

No seriously... mineral oil is great for liquid cooling. It does not conduct electricity and stays liquid between minus 50 and plus 90 degrees celcius. Its also non corrosive and is good at conducting heat.

I realise this sounds strange but you can quite easily dip your pc components in the stuff and they will go on working.

You can , theoretically immerse your entire motherboard in the stuff, cards and all and it will work. Just make sure there is a water tight container around the cpu first. The only real problem you would need to be mindful of is condensation:D :p

I've heard of people using not mineral oil, but a light machine oil of some kind. Prevents alot of the problems inherent in using water in a computer. :) I'll look around for some links later if ya want.