Snoring

My father is equally like that, don't know how my mom does it either. :laugh:

My step-father caused complaints at campgrounds. The other campers couldn't sleep and my sister and I would be hitting him trying to get him to shut up so that we could get some sleep. :p

If you find yourself really tired during the day, even after you've had 7 or 8 hours of sleep, and you don't consume

a lot of alcohol, illegal drugs.....you might be stopping your breathing during the night (as mentioned in the above

post)....tell your doctor. If it is available in your town, or near you, they can send you to a sleep lab, in which

they wire your head up with a zillion tiny wires and have you spend the night there while monitoring your brainwave

activity, heart, breathing etc. If you are having that problem, then they can tell you what to do about it.

As mentioned above, sometimes altering your diet to lose a few pounds, curbing alcohol consumption, walking 20 minutes every other day might be all that is needed.

:alien:

To add to poind's post:

My dad is a clinical educator for Respiratory Therapists in the ICU (children's hospital), my stepmom is an RT there, my girlfriend is one year away from being an RT, and I start the program next fall; just to give you a background on what I know. I work in the ICU assisting the RTs and I've seen countless times where patients just stop breathing - usually a tickle on the bottom of the foot or pinch the nose and they start breathing again. My grandfather and my dad have real bad sleep apnea. My dad went to do a sleep test about a month ago and they decided to give him a CPAP machine - what this does is give a constant flow of air into your lungs, keeping them expanded. It can, AND WILL, make a difference for real heavy snorers, even if you do not have sleep apnea.

Personally, in high school I used to have real bad snoring problems. I would wake my mom and sister up from it and their rooms were a good distance away. I was about 5'9'' and 170lbs. and played on my school basketball team, so I wasn't overweight or anything. 2 years ago I started to do really heavy running and cardio training - I run about 3 miles a day and play basketball 4 times a week. Since then, my girlfriend says the only time I snore is when I lay upright on my back and fall asleep (and usually I'm really tired if that happens).

To make a long story short, if you are concerned or want to rectify it, go see your physician and have him refer you to a sleep lab. They also can do surgery to solve snoring, which is what I was going to do in high school. Basically, your epiglotus is enlarged for some reason, which is NOT abnormal. They can easily laser it down to a smaller size which then opens the airway.

There's surgery for it, other than that, nope. My dad has been to the doctors for it a number of times, but unwilling to go through with surgery, he continue to snore like a donwshifting truck.

my dad is the same! my mom on the other hand can't deal with it any more and has tried convincing him numerous times 2 get teh laser surgery done but he's as stubborn as a mule! maybe he might get some inspiration when my sis (who's 12 and also a heavy snorer) gets the laser surgery :rolleyes: ;)

apparently sleeping on your sides can reduce snoring.

you can do this sleeping wearing a t-shirt (with a front pocket) backwards, and putting a tennis/golf ball in it.

apparently sleeping on your sides can reduce snoring.

you can do this sleeping wearing a t-shirt (with a front pocket) backwards, and putting a tennis/golf ball in it.

No! :cry: I tried that last night and I slept on my ear. :| Then, my ear hurt all day. :blink: I just put on headphones, I can barely hear out of it. :no: