(mac) Hide/Show files

How do I...

- hide/show files?

- delete hidden/invisible files?

:huh:

btw, my shapeshifter 1.2 doesn't seem to work fine (for itunes and safari) when using aqua extreme. any idea?

thanks for help :)

:: Shapeshifter - Probably because Aqua Extreme

:: hasn't been updated for 1.2

:: Hidden Files - Look on MacUpdate for TinkerTool.

:: I believe there is an option in there for what you want.

:: Fluid

You can delete them from Terminal.

Type ls -a to list all files (including hidden files, which will usually start with a ".")

Then type rm .filename to delete the file.

Search OS X Hints, they have a small apple script on that site that will hide/show files.

The beta versions of panther had a feature to show hidden files, but they removed it in the final version :(

Type ls -a to list all files (including hidden files, which will usually start with a ".")

btw, do I include the fot (.) in front of filename and the file path when removing files in terminal?

btw, do I include the fot (.) in front of filename and the file path when removing files in terminal?

Only if it is part of the file name.rm -rf foldernameb> removes folders

I found it useful to make an alias to ls, so when you run the ls command it does "ls -a -G", this shows all files and uses color.

I use tcsh, so all I did was add "alias ls 'ls -a -G'" to my .tschrc file to do this.

alias ls 'ls -a -G'

I found it useful to make an alias to ls, so when you run the ls command it does "ls -a -G", this shows all files and uses color.

Is there a way to change the colors that ls uses? I have my terminal window set to transparent blue, so the default color for folders is nearly unreadable.

This is what the LS_COLORS environmental variable is for.

* DISCLAIMER: I compiled my own version of the GNU/ls command, but this should still work.

export LS_COLORS="no=00:fi=00:di=01:ln=1;4:or=37:ex=36"

I added that line to my .bash_profile.

the colors are the same as they are for a bash prompt - head over to the linux how-to section and read the thread about customizing bash prompts. I have a post there where I explain how colors work. LS_COLORS uses the same basic format for colors (ie: 37 is grey/white, 32 is green).

one neat thing is that you can colorize certain kinds of files too. for example if i wanted all of my .html files to be green I would add:

:*.html=32

to the end of my ls_colors.

the options that are available for LS_COLORS are (this is from memory: i could be wrong)

no = the default color for everything

fi = normal file

di = directory

ln = symbolic link

or = broken symbolic link

ex = executable file

pi = fifo (aka named pipe)

so = socket

mi = missing file

bd = block device

cd = character device

I think that's everything - though as I already mentioned you can add entries for any file extension you want too.

Maybe I should write up a proper guide for the linux section: I can't imagine OS X people are the only ones who care about that.

oh yeah, can i change it to visible in terminal too?

oh yeah, can i change it to visible in terminal too?

If you have the dev tools installed, you can use these commands:

Hide files in finder:

/Developer/Tools/./SetFile -a V {file/folder name}

To show files:

/Developer/Tools/./SetFile -a v {file/folder name}

The only difference is the big and little 'v'.