Lexus Smart Key?

are you talking about the fingerprinting thing? i'm pretty sure it would work pretty damn well if theyve got the technology working well enough. plus i didnt see a keyhole or anything so it must be relied on heavily.

yeah, it's pretty sweet.. alot of cars are out there like that now.... in some variation or another. The Toyota Prius doesn't use a "key" either... the car senses you via the remote you cary and then allows you to open the door and then you press a button to start the car. Lexus being the sister of Toyota (with Toyota owning them i think) they've borrowed the prius technology and put it in a Lexus R400 too (Hybrid SUV)

Overall looks pretty sweet...

ohh, so you are carrying some type of sensor on you then? i didn't notice that in the commercial. i thought it somehow sensed your fingerpring or something...but i didn't see any special place on the car they were touching. i guess that'd explain it.

i wonder how the car/sensor interect. is it just some type of frequency? i wonder what would stop someone from replicating that frequency or signal.

its the same thing that stops a car thief from replicating a normal keyless entry remote. the guy who sold us our e320 mercedes in '97 told us that our remote changed its signal everytime to a random thing so its impossible to replicate.

i wonder how the car/sensor interect. is it just some type of frequency? i wonder what would stop someone from replicating that frequency or signal.

Back when remote garage door openers first started becoming popular it was possible to take one remote opener, drive down the street and open any door of the same make. Now, the opener and the part attached to the door randomize their frequencies together - meaning your odds of you hitting the button at the same time as someone elses door had the same frequency would be incredibly small. I'm assuming these keys are the same way. The only reliable way then to get the frequency right would be to have the physical key.

yeah, i'm aware of all that. but the technology to get around has gotten as good too. just makes me wonder, you know...unless the technology they use is like the same stuff in the STU3 and 4 phones.

yes this is nothing all that new.

on all luxury cars the physical 'key' is only 1/2 the equation to starting the car, every time you put your key into the ignition, it exchanges current codes, then exchanges a new pair.

so if you ever lose your keys to a BMW, Merc, or similar you have to buy a new computer for the car, because the internal codes for the keys will not match.

what they have done is taken this to the next level and encorporated with the remote.

Merc's currently have a credit card, which you put in your wallet, or on your person.

i would assume that some kind of RFID is inside the card, the car then senses when it is near, the card and the car exchange codes, and unlocks the door. the ignition button it also enabled at that time, allowing you to just press a button to start the car.

when you walk away the process is done in reverse.

its just as secure as a key, the bottom line is that IF someone wants to steal ANYTHING, they WILL steal it. nothing is theaf proof!

one of my friends uncle has a SLK55 AMG with that smart key technology...tricky stuff

You mean SL55 AMG? The new SLK55 AMG has not gone on production line yet. The only AMG SLK is the current SLK32 AMG which powered by supercharged 3.2L V6 engine.

yes this is nothing all that new.

on all luxury cars the physical 'key' is only 1/2 the equation to starting the car, every time you put your key into the ignition, it exchanges current codes, then exchanges a new pair.

so if you ever lose your keys to a BMW, Merc, or similar you have to buy a new computer for the car, because the internal codes for the keys will not match.

what they have done is taken this to the next level and encorporated with the remote.

Merc's currently have a credit card, which you put in your wallet, or on your person.

i would assume that some kind of RFID is inside the card, the car then senses when it is near, the card and the car exchange codes, and unlocks the door. the ignition button it also enabled at that time, allowing you to just press a button to start the car.

when you walk away the process is done in reverse.

its just as secure as a key, the bottom line is that IF someone wants to steal ANYTHING, they WILL steal it. nothing is theaf proof!

Not completely true... I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, and it uses the chip-in-key technology (I still have to use the key, but if someone makes a copy of just the key w/o the chip the car wont start). If I loose my key, all I have to do is go to the key place (or have them come to me) and they'll stick a few pins here and there, connect them to a device, and get some code. They punch this code into a computer, and the computer programs a chip inside a blank key. Then they get a regular locksmith to make a duplicate key and there you go. No need to replace any internal computers.

I have a ford focus with a SecuriLock? Passive Anti-Theft System --- the actual key has a chip in it which is required to start the car (RFID communicates w/ computer, if no chip detected car does not start).... pretty much prevents copied keys and people breaking into your car and stealing it.... locked myself out of it once and asked the guy that was opening the door for me something about the system and he said they are damn near impossible to steal without totally disassembling major parts of the car