Few n00b car questions

I changed the oil in my car for the first time today :D But after I did, me and my dad started arguing about things... So I'm hoping some of you here can help me settle them.

First, the car in question:

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS with a 2.4L V4 engine

Okay, the questions..

1) Synthetic or regular oil.. Which is better?

2) Every how many miles do you have to change synthetic oil?

3) What type of oil is best for a car like mine.. Like 05-30 or 10-40 or whatever?

4) How often is it necessary to check stuff like the air filter, the gas filter, etc?

If you can quote a site or some other source, that would be fantastic.. If not, just speculation will do :) Thanks a lot

Tell your dad to blow it out his hole! synthetic is great, but it is best to

change oil every 5000 kms. Air filters check every 3rd. The oil whatever

the manufacturer recommends.

The last time I checked this was a tech forum....

Thebuzz

Point me to a car forum and I'll go there :p

So it is really 3000mi for every car change, even with synthetic oil? Hrm, I was told it was every 6000 miles with synthetic, 3000 miles with regular... Darn..

*checks one argument as lost*

Okay, the questions..

3) What type of oil is best for a car like mine.. Like 05-30 or 10-40 or whatever?

4) How often is it necessary to check stuff like the air filter, the gas filter, etc?

1)Synthetic has gotten good enough, but regular is usually a little better.

2)Synthetic oil can last longer than regular, but not that much. I suggest every couple thousand miles, especially on a newer car.

3)this is usually dependent on your car, or your preference.

4) I change the air filter every couple oil changes. I change the gas filter every couple years.

3)this is usually dependent on your car, or your preference.

Thats the main question I'm looking for an answer to.. So you say it doesnt really matter which one you choose? Cause my dad is suggesting that getting 05 instead of 10 will kill my pistons before my next oil change.

Thats the main question I'm looking for an answer to.. So you say it doesnt really matter which one you choose? Cause my dad is suggesting that getting 05 instead of 10 will kill my pistons before my next oil change.

whatever it says in your owners manual

we have a pretty old ford aerostar van that has like over 300k mi on it and every mechanic says that out pistons look perfect because of the syn oil

synthetic has additives like regular conventional oil which wear out the same. synthetic should be changed the same time period/ mileage like regular conventioal oil. 0-60k should use 5w30. 60k-Up should use 10w40.

Mechanic told me synthetic (it is also more expensive... but I know the mechanics personally [we played on the same baseball team for years when we were kids:)] so I don't think they were lying just to get a few extra bucks).
Mechanic friends told me: 3k miles (which is nearly equal to your 5k kilometers?) because of hot Florida climate. Also, if you have cold climate, change every 3k. If your lucky and live in decent climate, then change every 5k unless you drive your car rough ex. constant stops/city driving.
Your car manual should tell you. If you don't have it... google it (I'm too lazy to do it for you).
Once again, manual or google it. There are tons of inspections in my honda civic manual, and to list them would require too much effort for me :) By the way, I think you can change your oil filter every 2 oil changes, but I change mine every oil change anyways... they are cheap :p.

Okay, the questions..

If you can quote a site or some other source, that would be fantastic.. If not, just speculation will do :) Thanks a lot

1) Synthetic

2) 3000, even though they say more, you can actually run them up to 5000, up usually not when the car is new.

3) Whatever it says in the owners manual, it will be in there somewhere.

4) Not that often, 15,000 mi or so.

The answers to your questions are all debatable. Ask 5 different mechanics and you will likely get five different answers. Some people prefer synthetic because of the additives, but others prefer conventional because of price and preference. Also, the interval between oil changes varies between synthetic and conventional oil and also differs even between manufacturers.

Perfect. I think thats enough to prove my dad wrong :)

Although, you guys bought up a good point which I was going to create a new thread for a while back but never did.. Where the hell can I find my owner's manual? I googled for it but couldnt find much.

you car is pretty new, shouldn't it be in your golve compartment...

mine is, but i own a 03 nissan..

I got a great deal on it.. got it with only 4,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, it was used nonetheless, so no owner's manual :/