Driving Help !

Hi All, I have my driving test tomorrow and i cant drive :cry: :( . This is about my 5th test and i need to pass. Im in the UK by the way. I think i can get away with general driving but i cant reverse round corners. Can anyone explain how to do this. Ive looked at websites but they dont give me any help. Any tips would be gery helpful.

Sawyer12

I would say find someone to let you partice in their car

Umm.. Make sure you can see where you're backing up too and all around you and take it slow and easy.

You will be fine - I took 6 tests, almost had to resort to the short skirt thing to bribe the examiner :laugh:

How I tackled the reverse corners was thus:

- Pull up about 2 cars length away from the corner

- Go back looking over your left shoulder until the curb on the new road is parallel with the top edge of the back seat

- Stop, look around

- Start moving very slowly, turning the wheel by 3/4 of a turn

- Keep moving very slowly, until you are half way round

- Stop, look around (you need this one or they fail you)

- Continue on, turning in a bit more as you go to pull in a bit tighter

- When you are parallel with the new curb, move back about 3 car lengths and stop.

Make sure you are looking out the back window as much as possible. I know mirrors are very temping in this manouver but they want you to look out the back, so get sly glances in the mirrors when you are checking for traffic.

If you see another car, stop and wait for them to decide what they are doing, if they can go past, let them before you carry on. If not, don't let them rush you.

I was very good at reversing round corners, my problem was driving forwards :laugh: The most important thing to do is to keep the car moving at a steady pace as you go back and the smoother you can tap down on the clutch the better the whole process will go.

Take a reference point in the rear window, like a sticker or mark on the window. Go park near a corner and check when this reference point lines up with the curb. Reverse around the corner and get out hafway round (and when you start and finish) Check where the car is from the curb. Keep this point in the right place and you should know where you are (without being able to see curb)

Not sure if i explained that well, but after 5 times you might get lucky and they won't test you on it :D

Just take it slow; remember they can only do so many tests in one day + have a schedule to keep to. If you take your time over it they'll be unable to do a lot :)

I didn't have to do Reverse around corners in Australia. That looks dangerous!

What if a car comes in from the side road and building is blocking your view of the side road. I guess that is why we don't do this in australia. But we did have to do parrell parking, 3 point-turns, and other things like that.

I got my P licence after a 1 and a half year on learners and 15 lessons and 1 practical test.

Wow, if you have failed that many times, just take more lessons, it will be much cheaper. It took me 6 months, 19 days, 6 lessons and 2 tests to get my licence :p

I recently passed mine, UK, reversing round a corner is not so bad... I often find that as well as looking out the back, I just as much use my left mirror. I get to the point where the kerb just disappears from my back window, then turn the wheel until I see myself staying a constant distance away from the kerb in the left mirror. When I first started this manouvre, I carried on turning the wheel, and overestimated how much you really need to turn it.

When the kerb reappears/is about to reappear at the centre of the rear window, you should be straightened/straightening up then.

Hope this helps.. its obviously hard to explain just in words, lol.

Edited by WildFire

the only problem i see with Driving Tests, is the car you drive in, it may be a differnt type of car to which you got or hoping to buy. for instance i got smart car that is like 2 metres long, and with my driving teacher i drive a honda jazz, which is alot longer then my smart car, so as soon as i finsh the test i be in my smart car for years, even if i have to get rid of the car i still get a smart car.

the only problem i see with Driving Tests, is the car you drive in, it may be a differnt type of car to which you got or hoping to buy. for instance i got smart car that is like 2 metres long, and with my driving teacher i drive a honda jazz, which is alot longer then my smart car, so as soon as i finsh the test i be in my smart car for years, even if i have to get rid of the car i still get a smart car.

/me wants a smart car :(

hmmm.. do you mean parallel parking? no one drives around corners in reverse.. honestly.. :laugh:

ultimaweapon

u part of the smart club, and where abouts are you in the uk?

you can pick up some real smart cars cheap and some even moded with the ECU remaped, and a air scoop to make the car breate better. if u want to go lower a LHD is cheaper, also your probley want a Coupe instead of a Cabrio. since when in the UK do u get sun much? someone does a mk 5 LHD (2001) at just under 4 grand got some really nice mods

I was introduced to it for the first time today. We practiced it 4 times and I did it right 4 times (2 times without verbal help from my intructor). What you must remember to shift ur position so ur comfortable looking out the rear window, then use clutch control and imgine ur driving forward, ur just in an akward position... u do it nicely slowly and controlled it'll be fine. The distance just has to be enough to let another car get by, and if u feel like ur too wide, u can straighten urself up. YOU CAN DO THIS! JUST FOCUS AND DONT LET NERVES GET THE BETTER OF YOU!!! :)

hmmm.. do you mean parallel parking? no one drives around corners in reverse.. honestly.. :laugh:

reversing round a corner is a key part of ur test! The most dreaded maneuver too.

why don't you just ask your family or a friend to let you use the car, and take it to a empty parking lot and practice all you want...

that's how i practice on snow for the first time, and i would say it help a lot. trying to control the car on snow for the first time can be tricky...

but making perfect donuts once you know how to is priceless... :D

Hi All, I have my driving test tomorrow and i cant drive :cry: :( . This is about my 5th test and i need to pass. Im in the UK by the way. I think i can get away with general driving but i cant reverse round corners. Can anyone explain how to do this. Ive looked at websites but they dont give me any help. Any tips would be gery helpful.

Sawyer12

Here's what I see a lot of people, manly women, do while backing up. They use the rear view mirror, now the thing about a rear view mirror is everything is... well everything is a mirror image. NEVER use the rear view mirror to back up, it's just plain stupid and dangerous, you have a very poor visibility around the car. Make sure you are looking where you are backing, just turn your body around placing one hand on the back of the passengers chair and the other hand on the top of the wheel. If you do that you shouldn't have any trouble backing up, just take it slow.