Can't add hardware to XP Pro..Help?

Hello.

I have a little problem. i think my network card is fried, so I went and tried to replace it. I have had this problem before and the only way I could solve it in the end was to Reinstall WIN XP with the culprit piece of hardware in the machine while Windows was loading.

Anyways,

I have a 3Com NIC card(fried)

Tried to install Netgeare XP approved Network card and at the end of Hardware and Detection and INstallation. The Add Hardware FAILS with a DATA Error, Unable to Install this device.

I have tried other cards too(NIC). I am unable to install any Network card no matter what drivers or process of adding or removing it I use.

I need a NIC card in my PC. I also noticed something wierd. IT seems that my XP Pro is "hanging onto" my network connections I have tried to create on here. When I do try and setup a network, it has LAN (11)..like it's number 11. On my other PC, it shows the LAN conneciton as the first one ever created and I have setup the network on it multiple times too. Kinda wierd. Like mine isn't clearing the Network Setup that I do on it. Maybe that is the root of my problem with trying to add another NIC card?

Mike

I wish I could find the link for you about this Data error in WinXP when trying to install new hardware. Basically the short of this recent bit of news is that alot of WinXP users who have this error are ****ed off....because you need to reinstall Windows to correct the problem. So far theres no solution to it other than that.