• Windows Millennium
    • Windows 98 (SE)
    • Windows 98 (FE)
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 3.1 / 3.1.1
    • Linux Red Hat / Mandrake
    • Unix
    • Other...

XP easily. It is quite fast, by far the most stable I have ever used, easy to use for everyone (beginners to advanced users) and packed full of nice little features that I am still discovering now.

I really like xp i've been using it exclusively since beta 2 and loved it, but due to the detonator 4 drivers not working for me i installed win2k to see if they would give me the same problems under the older os, they did still crash to gui under direct3d games but i also noticed the huge difference in processor use at idle and the 100mb difference in ram footprint, i've got an amd k6/2 500 with 384 mB ram, 2k uses 5% at idle xp is closer to 20%. I guess i'll just have to see which os i find my self going back to but for now if i want to game i guess 2k is the one i can pickup some extra frames in

Khujo you are right, I had forgotten about that. In XP my CPU usage hovers around 10% when idle. 2000 never uses more than 2%. I would like to know where all that processing power is going when it is not even supposed to be doing anything. 10% of my 800MHz Duron is 80MHz. 80MHz used just to be idle! It doesn't alter my opinion of XP (it is great) but it is an issue worth noting.

Three of the pre-release versions caused problems for me, such as corrupting my HD. Glad to say the final hasn't done anything similar, although I am currently stuck with a corrupt registry.

Originally posted by PabUK  

Khujo you are right, I had forgotten about that. In XP my CPU usage hovers around 10% when idle. 2000 never uses more than 2%. I would like to know where all that processing power is going when it is not even supposed to be doing anything. 10% of my 800MHz Duron is 80MHz. 80MHz used just to be idle! It doesn't alter my opinion of XP (it is great) but it is an issue worth noting.

This goes to all of the eye candy that is in Windows XP, and the other "behind the scenes" operations (not that I hate eye candy).

PabUK - I did change to 'classic' style after about an hour of using Luna. I did however quite like the new look (the silver theme, anyway), but the fact that I need to be running at 1280x960 to use it comfortably vexes me.

Shame they didn't include the watercolour theme from beta 1....

That is a coincidence, I use the silver theme at 1280x960. I don't use that res just for the theme though, it is what I always use. I do appreciate what you mean, the new interface does take up far more real estate than the classic one.