partition magic pro 7 and win xp

Question

i have a damn problem with partition magic pro 7 and windows xp. everytime i start the program it just freezes and i can't return to windows anymore...well, i can't do nothing so i have to reset.

i tried everything, uninstalled, installed again, repaired the installation...nothing.

****ty is that the other programs/utils that come along with the pm pro 7 DO work...partition info and drive mapper work whithout problems, it's only that damn main program. any ideas what i can do?

and: yes, i have the latest updates and versions!

ps: damn. on the setup and in the docs it says partition magic DOES support windows XP.

please help:D

9 answers to this question

yeah, but on the other hand waht if i ever have to use partition magic? i have 2 fat partition full of data which i want to convert to ntfs whithout loosing data....and i don'T want to use convert.exe

damn, i hate powerquest!

Why don't you just convert your partation to NTFS during the early stage of Win2k/Windows XP setup(it should give you the option to convert to NTFS after you choose the install partation). You won't loose any data doing it that way, but on the downside it will give you 512k clusters(which is the most inefficiant cluster size for NTFS). BTW, PM7 works fine for me so I don't know what to say about your freeze up problem. :(

sorry I didn't explain - make a Partitiion Magic bootdisk and on that disk there is a dos version of PM (on disk 2) called pqmagic.exe which will do everything PM for windows will do (well except allocating drive letters - but u can do this in management console in Win XP anyway).

I'm away for the weekend so my apologies if I don't reply aggain until Monday.

Originally posted by Zombie9920  

Why don't you just convert your partation to NTFS during the early stage of Win2k/Windows XP setup(it should give you the option to convert to NTFS after you choose the install partation). You won't loose any data doing it that way, but on the downside it will give you 512k clusters(which is the most inefficiant cluster size for NTFS). BTW, PM7 works fine for me so I don't know what to say about your freeze up problem. :(

i did that. but now i've got a second hdd, from my old machine, which was a win 98 machine so it's fat32.

so, you're saying you don't have that problem? damn, then it must be probably a problem with my machine. i thought this was a general bug or something, but now i'm not so sure....:ermm:

Well, you could unplug your main Hard Drive and install WinXP on the other hard drive and convert it to NTFS. After it is done doing the conversion and restarts shut off your system and plug your main hard drive back in and boot to XP normally from it, then in XP delete the Windows, Program Files and the temporary install files directories(I'm not sure what it is called since I haven't had to delete it before, I'm sure you would know which one it is because it will be a directory that wasn't there before) from the other drive.

I've been a long user of Partition Commander and decided to try out Partition Magic 6.0 and it destroyed two partitions so badly I had to re-install the OS. So I went back to Partition Commander.

Partition Commander is a lot more reliable then Partition Magic, I've used it a lot and it's never screwed up. It operates under DOS with a cursor and mouse though so there's know commands to know.