Freddy Adu Today

no, not at all.. if i never saw another soccer game/highlight/ball in my life, i'd be happy.. It's never going to catch on in America

lol..well a lot of people seemd to like the last fifa world cup here. Personally, I love soccer. I never watch mls games..but im going to watch this one just b/c hes 14.

lol..well a lot of people seemd to like the last fifa world cup here. Personally, I love soccer. I never watch mls games..but im going to watch this one just b/c hes 14.

michelle wie is 14 too, doesnt mean i'm going to start watching women's golf

I hope it never catches on there. It would just mean all the best players move there for $$$ and play by different rules to ensure there is enough action to keep people interested and enough breaks to keep the advertising people happy.

freddy adu is awesome. saw him on 60 minutes. amazing that he's only 14. yeah, soccer is like the last sport for america to conquer....

you like to leave random pointless posts...don't you?

anyways, anyone going to the game this weekend in LA...

i was thinking about it...wonder if it's sold out yet...

um... maybe cause it sucks? :lamp:

ya and baseball is the epitome of excitment. What a scuky sport when its played EVERYWHERE in the world, and is the worlds most popular. I guess it really sucks eh. I'd never watch an entire baseball game unless i was payed to or i was really tired and mommy couldnt read me a bed time story.

Edited by bayrider

Never watched it but saw on PTI that they didn't even start him for the game.. kinda messed up you get all these people to see the kid play and you keep him on the bench.

freddy adu is awesome. saw him on 60 minutes. amazing that he's only 14. yeah, soccer is like the last sport for america to conquer....

14 my eye. They don't have any concrete evidence that he is 14.

Never watched it but saw on PTI that they didn't even start him for the game.. kinda messed up you get all these people to see the kid play and you keep him on the bench.

yeah, that did kind of suck. there was like probably 8 or so thousand more people this year for their opener compared to last year. and they barely got to see what they wanted.

14 my eye.  They don't have any concrete evidence that he is 14.

You better watch where you bet your eyes. This whole story questioning Adu's age is a bunch of BS. He's got a birth certificate and other documentation that proves that he's 14. Also he has absolutely no reason to lie about his age. If he were 16 right now he'd still be a great player. Just because Freddy acts much more mature than most American 14-year old, or 28-year olds for that matter, doesn't mean he's not 14. Yes, it's hard to believe that he's 14 because of the way he handles himself, but that's what happens when a person pays attention to developing themselves into a person rather than focusing on "getting wasted" as most American teens seem to be.

As far as the silly discussion by some people here that boils down to "soccer sucks" you don't understand the game and don't like it. That's fine. However, you don't see me going on baseball boards and trashing what to me is the most boring sport I have ever seen (way behind most summer and winter Olympic sports even). The point of this message is that I have better things to do than trash what I don't like.

The fact is that soccer is an amazing sport adored by people all over the world. Baseball is America's sport played at a high level only in few other coutries where it has been transplanted (Japan, Cuba). Also a fact is that soccer players are much better athletes than baseball players. While I don't question the skills of baseball players I'd like to see Barry Bonds run around the field for 90 minutes in 90 degree weather. Even if he gets rid of that silly baseball uniform (Americans would be the first to make fun of it if it weren't your sport) I bet he won't survive for more than 20 minutes of a soccer match. In an under-14 league.

I have not seen that much of Adu yet, but even the glimpes that I have caught make me extremely excited about him. If you know anything about soccer you can see that this kid is truly special.

hmm, anyone know how freddy did today?

He came on in the 2nd half and did well when he got the ball. The problem is that DC is not a very good team and so far he has barely touched the rock. I only caught the last 12 minutes of the match as I was busy watching boxing on HBO (Klitschko vs Brewster). Here are my impressions from what I saw.

Adu got the ball twice during the 12 minute span that I saw and both times impressed bigtime. The first time ran at the defender, did a spinorama and laid out a perfect pass on the run for a teammate who shot straight at the keeper. The 2nd time, in the 90th minute with a score tied at 1-1 he got a smidgeon of open space on the right corner of the penalty area, got the ball, schooled his defender (Marshall) and put a very hard shot on, but LA's keep Hartman made a great save. Almost a great winning goal for Freddy. According to the commentators he came on as a sub at halftime. The game ended up 1-1 when Carlos Ruiz, nicknamed El Pescodito, scored a golaso in the 85th minute to tie it. He's the leading MLS scorer who was rejected by Wolves, Portsmouth and someone else in England this year. Maybe they should have signed him. He got the ball on the edge of the area with his back to the net, bumped the defender off his back, turned and fired all in one motion. Caught the top corner with a dipping strike. Back to Adu though... The kid is strong as an oxe! On one play he held off three LA players and somehow escaped out of the corner of the field with the ball. It was a case of dribbling in a phone booth a la some great Brazilians. The kid needs better teammates though, cuz after all that he gave the ball to one of them who immediately lost it due to a crappy pass.

Here here! :yes:

Welcome to Neowin, ranndino ;)

Thanks for the welcome Mr NFL fan :). I was just going to give an example of how stupid people sound when they trash a game they never bothered to really watch or understand.

I came to the US from Europe at 15 and immediately took a liking to gridiron football even though I have never seen it before. The first games I saw were in the old World Football League, now known as NFL Europe (we came here at the end of March). I began learning the game and soon got to know it very well and became a fan of both the NFL and college football. It's a great game with so much strategy involved. The coaches have the most control over what's going on on the field of any team sport and I love all the strategy behind their decisions, the playbook and all that. Many of my Euro friends, however, never really opened up their minds to what was for them a new sport and still don't understand anything about the game. Yet they trash it as some stupid sport where a bunch of large men run around aimlessly and fall on top of each other. Don't they sound really dumb? Well, not any dumber than Americans on this board who trash soccer without having any understanding of the game and who probably have seen it like twice in their life, if that. It's all about keeping an open mind and learning about new things.

If any of them caught the last few Champions League games or even watch some English Premier League matches I doubt that they would find soccer boring. There's tons of action, great passionate atmosphere and lots of goals and scoring chances. In the EPL scores of 2-1, 3-2, and even 4-3 are not that uncommon. The Champions League has been crazy this year with sensational results in the quarterfinals when all three biggest favorites to win the most prestigious club trophy got their asses kicked: Real Madrid, Arsenal of London and AC Milan. All are out now. In case of the Spanish and Italian giants it's completely improbable as they looked like they were cruising after their first games which they won 4-2 and 4-1 respectively over Monaco of France and Deportivo La Coruna of Spain (love that name!). Who could have ever fathomed that the smaller clubs could pull off huge voctories in their home return matches to win on aggregate? No one! Especially in the case with Deportivo and Milan. Milan was up by 3 goals after the first leg and they are not a team that loses often at all, but especially not by a large margin. Yet Deportivo stormed them in the 2nd game winning 4-1 in an action packed match that made everyone's jaw drop. Tell me that soccer is boring after games like this! Yes, like in any sport there are boring games with no action, but that doesn't make the sport bad and the only people who judge it based on one or two games they saw are not very intelligent.

Also, one last thing. If you judge soccer based on MLS I'm afraid you are watching inferior version of the game. Even though I'm a huge soccer fan it is excrutiatingly painful for me to watch the MLS. Especially since I'm now able to see world class soccer on a regular basis thanks to Fox Sports World channel. MLS brand of soccer is slow and the skill level leaves much to be desired. Especially in the way of passing. I watched the first game of the season between DC and San Jose, Freddy's debut and it's no wonder people who don't know soccer came away disappointed. The game was horrendous to watch with both teams not being able to string 3 passes together.

I tell you what. Last year was the first time something called the World Series of soccer was organized. Top club teams from around the world came to play here, in the US in what for them were preseason exhibitions. Even though these players were coming off their off-season layoff they blew me away. I went to the Barcelona - Juventus game at Foxboro (I live in Boston) and it was something else to see these guys live. I've been to many MLS games live and sometimes I felt like getting on the field myself because I felt I could surely do better than what I saw (sometimes I would be so frustrated with these professionals not being able to make a simple pass - c'mon, I'd yell, they get paid for this!). Seeing Barca and Juve play was the first time in my life that I got a chance to see world class stars play live (I come from Latvia, so never got a chance there and obviously none since coming here). It was unbelievable! The speed and the skill of these players is spectacular to see. And you can see the thought in every movement! It was truly something else and I really never got an idea that I could play with these guys. When I watch MLS I often do get that idea.

Anyway, this is turning into a book, so I'll finish up by saying that people who don't like soccer should buy a ticket to a World Series match (they're coming back this year, because it was so successfull the first time around) and watch real pros play. Oh, and by the way, as far as soccer not catching as a spectator sport in the US. It's all about the quality of the players. The World Series was sold out in almost every stadium in the US with 50K, 60K fans at every match. Same thing happened during the World Cup here in 1994.

P.S. As far as which one is REAL football. I would say that a very good argument in favor of soccer being real football is that it is actually played with feet while in the American version feet are mostly used for running around :) Like I said I like the game, but they should have called it something else instead of football because the only times the ball is kicked is during kick offs, field goals and punts. The rest of the time it resembles handball a whole lot more than football :)

baseball sucks completely. it employs basic motor skills like throwing and catching. they even need gloves to catch the damn ball. go watch cricket, those people do everything bare handed. they even bounce the ball when they throw and it goes faster than a baseball. the ball is even harder in cricket