Codecs ARH!

Question

Ok this has been bugging me for a long time, can you guys run me through the list of codecs I really need to be able to run all forms of media, avi,mpg , in xvid , divx formats. The codecs I have are xvid, divx and ffdshow, but sometimes they stop working and I have to reinstall them, what codecs do I really need , I tried the Nimo codec pack sometimes it works and sometimes wmp is slow and crashes on video start..this is driving me nuts!!

14 answers to this question

Ok this has been bugging me for a long time, can you guys run me through the list of codecs I really need to be able to run all forms of media, avi,mpg , in xvid , divx formats. The codecs I have are xvid, divx and ffdshow, but sometimes they stop working and I have to reinstall them, what codecs do I really need , I tried the Nimo codec pack sometimes it works and sometimes wmp is slow and crashes on video start..this is driving me nuts!!

I don't see why your codecs would stop working unless you actually uninstalled them. Unlike what DAvenger of RadLight says, it is ok to use codec packs as long as you know what's going in and where its going in. Most people only need a handful of codecs but they install every single in the largest possible codec pack available because they think having more is always better. While it is always best if you individually download the codecs and install them separately, a simple codec pack like K-Lite Codec Pack Basic, the Gordian Knot Codec Pack or the Codec Pack All in 1 would suffice. Individually, the codecs that you'll need are as follows:

Video

DivX

XviD

ffdshow/3ivX (or both)

Huffyuv

Audio

MP3

AC3

Ogg

Some Extras

DivX Antifreeze

DVobSub

If you want to watch SVCDs, you'll need an MPEG2 codec or you can use Media Player Classic. Other than that, almost all the other codecs in those huge codec packs are mostly not used at all. I would suggest either CodecPack All in 1 or the Basic K-Lite Codec Pack if you're just watching videos and probably the Gordian Knot pack if you're encoding.

Hope I've been helpful.

cheers!

Don't install codecpacks, ever! They will only ruin your system.

i've used the k-lite (mega) codec since the day it came out. it never "ruined" my system.

Aren't like half or all of the "codec packs" mentioned here warez? What makes them okay?

===

No Warez (links) & Cracks: help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to software, posting about it, and suggesting to get it.

===

i've used the k-lite (mega) codec since the day it came out. it never "ruined" my system.

You were lucky :)

For movies:

DivX 5.11

Xvid (Nic's 30/03/03 stable release)

LSX MPEG Player 4 (not a player, an MPEG2 decoder plugin for WMP9)

Quicktime 6.5 (for checking out new movie trailers :D)

For music:

Intervideo MP3 + DVD XPack (MP3 encoder & DVD Decoder for WMP9)

And with the above combination I have been able to view SVCD, VCD, DIVX, XVID, DVD files all with one player.

:cool:

Aren't like half or all of the "codec packs" mentioned here warez? What makes them okay?

===

No Warez (links) & Cracks: help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to software, posting about it, and suggesting to get it.

===

Err... codec packs are not warez. They are just a collection of freely available codecs which are bundled together in a single installation. What gave you the idea that they are warez?

Err... codec packs are not warez. They are just a collection of freely available codecs which are bundled together in a single installation. What gave you the idea that they are warez?

They ARE warez. They include MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC and many other codecs - these are NOT free actually. Hey, even the XviD binary is illegal.