palm hotsync problems

i have a palm m100 and it wont hotsync with my computer.. the computer has a gigabyte 7zx mobo and windows xp on it..

i'm trying to hotsync via the com (serial port) but it seems as if the computer cant pick up the palm.. i'm thinking its a problem the ports on the mobo, but i'm not sure.. it hot syncs fine on another computer, but i want it on this one.

any suggestions?

dont say contact tech support cuz i've already tried that...

Are you sure that your serial ports are set up correctly and that they are detected correctly by Windows?

Click on the Hotsynch icon in the system tray. Make sure that there is a check mark next to local/serial.

yep.. the checkmark is there... the serial port are detected by windows.. although they might be defective.. i've never used the serial ports in my mobo before...

any other suggestions?

Have you tried switching between Com1 or Com2 in the palm software? I know that aren't always clearly marked on some computers.

Do you have a modem? If so what Com port does it use?

I don't own a Palm but I'm always having to help people with them at work.

i tried both com1/com3 (i dont have a com2 for some reason).. my internal modem which i dont use is set to com4... i checked the bios already (that was the first thing i did) and they're all enabled.

When there is a modem I disable Com2 in the BIOS. I have had the best luck using Com1 for the mouse (or in this case a Palm) and Com2 for the modem.

If your modem is a Winmodem it may only work with Com4. Use Com1 for the Palm. Turn off Com3 (serial port 2) in the BIOS so there are no conflicts.

Did you disable serial port 2 and make sure that Com3 was no longer a choice? Did you make sure that the cradle is pluged into the correct port on the back? You might want to take out the modem if it is not working.

If you're geting frustrated I think a USB cradle is only $30 US.

Before you go off getting a new cradle test it

go to hyper terminal

set up a new connection set it to com 1

hit the hotsync button and if anything comes up it means its working

Originally posted by Mike11212

Before you go off getting a new cradle test it

go to hyper terminal

set up a new connection set it to com 1

hit the hotsync button and if anything comes up it means its working

nope.. nothing comes up.

come on.. u guys are better than palm tech support.. . any other suggestions? damn hotsync cradle is 60 bucks for the usb one.. i'd rather give this one away and buy my self another one if i have to pay that price.. lol

They usually come with a USB cradle.

I take it you haven't had any luck with it since the other night. If you tried all of my suggestions and they didn't work then I have no idea what chould be wrong with it.