Chargers to trade #1 Pick?

The New York football Giants are in talks with the San Diego Chargers about trading for the #1 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. The Giants hold the #4 pick in the draft. With the #1 pick, the Giants would draft QB Eli Manning and with the #4 pick the Chargers would likely select T Robert Gallery. The Chargers would probably use their additional pick(s) from the Giants to select a WR.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1777846

I'm gonna go ahead and call Bad Idea for San Diego on this one.

The last 2 times they have had the #1 pick they have

1) drafted Ryan Leaf .. who was a major flop as you all know

and

2) traded it to the Atlanta Falcons, :woot: who then selected the most exciting, and possibly the biggest playmaker in the league, Michael Vick. The Chargers were able to draft LaDanian Tomlinson, but still, you know they regret passing on Vick. Oh well, tough.

I dont see how you can justify trading away youre chance at Eli Manning. He's going to be good. You cant just pass on a guy directly related to Archie and Peyton Manning, its in his blood to be a pro QB. Also, what good is a left tackle or a wide receiver going to do if youve got a middle of the road QB like Brees, and the 41 year old Doug Flutie. They've got to keep this pick if they know whats good for them.

Well, its not all that bad of an idea, IF, and only if, youve already got a franchise QB. Neither of these 2 teams needs to be drafting an offensive lineman.. now, if atlanta were to get their hands on a top 5 draft pick.. we've got our quarterback, and we've got a decent, not great, but decent receiving corps. Our offensive line is pathetic though, part of the reason Vick has to scramble so much.

Well, its not all that bad of an idea, IF, and only if, youve already got a franchise QB. Neither of these 2 teams needs to be drafting an offensive lineman.. now, if atlanta were to get their hands on a top 5 draft pick.. we've got our quarterback, and we've got a decent, not great, but decent receiving corps. Our offensive line is pathetic though, part of the reason Vick has to scramble so much.

I can see the point, but very good OL can be found mid rounds.

I wouldn't trade the pick, Eli is going to be a star like his brother. The only OL worth picking that high was Orlando Pace, he's a franchise OL Player. But yeah you can find a lot of good OL's in the latter rounds.

Wasn't Orlando Pace drafted #1? He sure is a damn fine tackle and a nice reason the Rams can throw bombs down field. The only thing you don't draft in the first round is a kicker, Al Davis is a moron. Drew Brees will be good if he has:

A) Time to throw the ball

B) Short and long recievers

C) A running game

D) A system like New England

A tackle gives him time, but they have absolutley no on for a WR. I honestly can't name one of them. Tomlinson will have to lead them in running and recieving, which makes it easy to defend them. Send a spy LB to watch Tomlinson out of the back field, done. And give Brees a simple system like the Pats. They throw 3 step drop-passes over the middle for 5-7 yard gains. Move the chains and eat up the clock. Manning will be horrible here just like Brees this year, you can't blame a quarterback for awful recievers, sorry.

the chargers need to keep this pick. they need to draft the future of their team, Eli Manning. lets just hope Eli can win playoff games without having the kicker tell the world that he doesnt know how to win.

Current Giants QB Kerry Collins has responded to the trade rumors, which could affect his starting job.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants' interest in acquiring the No.1 pick in the draft from San Diego hasn't changed quarterback Kerry Collins' feelings about next season.

The Chargers acknowledged Wednesday that the Giants have discussed acquiring the pick, presumably to draft quarterback Eli Manning.

That didn't seem to worry Collins, whose future in New York would be in jeopardy with Manning in town

"I take pride in the way I play," said Collins, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl appearance in 2000, a year after the team revived his troubled career. "This organization has treated me well. I still have a lot of fight. Every time I go out there I am going to give it my best."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7241896

even if chargers trade the first pick to giants and the giants do draft manning, collins has nothing to worry about. manning will need 1-2 years to develop. if a new head coach for the giants this year, you never know.

for Manning, the Giants situation might be better, because if he goes to the Chargers, they're going to throw him in the starters spot right away. at least in new york, he'd have a little time to develop.

I don't get the Chargers. They have their starter. His name is Drew Brease. Honestly, he was amazing in Perdue and will be a great QB to come. San Diego doesn't need Eli. If they give up the pick to NYG not only should they get the #5 pick but they should use the #1 pick for all it's worth.

@ Boog: Tony Mandarich was a beast. He was so heavily touted coming out of college. I highly doubt we'll see another O.Lineman that hyped up any time in the near future.