What makes a car blinker blink?

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and when I try to turn on the blinkers, the light just stays on, it doesn't blink/flash. What makes it blink?

A small device called the flasher houses two contacts seperated by a piece of tungsten steel. As current passes through the steel it heats up and 'warps' to break the current. As the steel cools it makes contact again and this causes the turn signals to blink off and on.

Your flasher could be bad but more likely its the turn signal switch.

Personally I thought it was a relay switch somewhere within the car.

But I don't know - I could be totally wrong.

:blink: i am hypnotized by your knowledge raven...

Wow...That was an awesome response Raven. I was thinking it was some relay switch too, but what a scientific answer. :)

So is it something I can go to the auto store and buy or is it a dealer visit :pinch:

A small device called the flasher houses two contacts seperated by a piece of tungsten steel. As current passes through the steel it heats up and 'warps' to break the current. As the steel cools it makes contact again and this causes the turn signals to blink off and on.

Your flasher could be bad but more likely its the turn signal switch.

Wow man, you really know your stuff.

I would have guessed it was some kind of relay switch, as another member mentioned.

just buy a new turn signal

Yeah but all four blinkers are acting this way. Not just one.

I don't know about all cars, but some have a seperate module for the turn signals and a seperate one for the emergency flashers.

If yours is like this, you could swap them to see if that fixes it, then you would know if it was the flasher, or if like Raven mentioned, the switch. (If it is a modern car, pray it is the flasher. Most newer cars have a single combination switch, which can be a couple hundred dollars to replace. But a flasher is probably only $10-$20).

could it be a battery problem then? mabe there's not enough current for the tungston to cause a disconnection?

I thought it was some kind of timer like a 555 circuit.

I don't know about all cars, but some have a seperate module for the turn signals and a seperate one for the emergency flashers.

If yours is like this, you could swap them to see if that fixes it, then you would know if it was the flasher, or if like Raven mentioned, the switch. (If it is a modern car, pray it is the flasher. Most newer cars have a single combination switch, which can be a couple hundred dollars to replace. But a flasher is probably only $10-$20).

Oh nice call. I actually tested this when I parked in the parking garage this morning. I tried turning on the hazards, and they did the same thing.

then bring it into the shop, surely it is still under warranty.

I'm not sure if that would be something covered or not. It was bought used, so if it is in the extended manufacturer warranty, then it should be, but I doubt it. It's worth a look though.

Can we get a few terms clarified.

Flasher: Is this the actual light and plastic housing?

Module: Is this the relay?

I would think the relay would be shared by the hazard switch and turn switch

Can we get a few terms clarified.

Flasher: Is this the actual light and plastic housing?

No, this is kinda hard to describe. It is a small module (relay?) that plugs in, usually under the dash.

Here is an example I found of a mustang flasher module. Some may be square, some round, some colored, some metal...just depends.

So is it something I can go to the auto store and buy or is it a dealer visit 

No, you should be able to pick it up at any parts store. You can even price them online.

For example, go to www.autozone.com. (They have stores all over the US.)

You can enter the make and model and year of your vehicle and then shop for parts for it online.

I usually go in to my local store, and they are all very cool. They will usually even come out and help you locate where it is on the car.

post-7-1081430963.jpg

I'm sure this is dependant on vehicles, but does this little thing usually require removing the dash to access it, or is it right underneath the steering wheel?

I always thought it was a relay. I should ask my dad, he's a mechanic.

I thought it was some kind of timer like a 555 circuit.

I don't think a 555 timer can handle that sort of current. It would have to be a mechanical switch such as a relay or what raven said.

the question is... what makes a car blinker NOT blink

eh?

Well that is too general of a question. What makes a Blinker blink is specific, when trying to troubleshoot, you need to be specific to avoid wasting time

Just found this. However different cars are different, and I was trying to find specialized help on a Jeep.

Cool. Nice pictures and everything.
I'm sure this is dependant on vehicles, but does this little thing usually require removing the dash to access it, or is it right underneath the steering wheel?

Out of the 8 cars I owned, I've never had to remove any portion of the dash. Usually its just burried somewhere down under the steering wheel. I forgot some cars have it in the fuse panel. (My current vehicle doesn't, so I guess it slipped my mind.)

Well that is too general of a question. What makes a Blinker blink is specific, when trying to troubleshoot, you need to be specific to avoid wasting time

</sarcasm>

....it was only a joke

Why don't you head on down to the Auto Parts store and walk on in and ask one of the nice guys behind the counter to help you. And the relay is normally housed in one of the fuse boxes (no need to rip out the dashboard)...

There is a load of useful information in your owners manual too!

Gonna set you back about $10 at most.