Router Help

Connection: Broadband

Router: SMC broadband router

updated with the latest firmware

Hello,

I bought a router a little over a week ago and soon I found that I was limited to only surfing the web and chatting. This is not enough for me.

I cannot set up ftps, send/recieve files though msn messenger/icq. Nor can I dcc-send or set up a server on IRC outside my network.

Ive got a built in firewall to the router. I got to the configuration page, and I know I have to enable and assign ip and ports to what I want to leave open. I'm really not sure how to do that.

I checked the manufacturers FAQ site but they are vague in answering my question. I've also e-mailed tech support..and am on my 7th day of waiting for a reply. I know I can enable DMZ but that will expose my entire workstation to the internet, and that defeats the purpose of having the firewall.

Can someone help me?

you need to go to your router's web interface, in it, you'll find a virtual server option. you can route ports to the ip of your machine, ex ports 4001-4100 to 192.168.100.25, and then you will be able to use those through the firewall. you just have to set the application to only use those outbound ports for transfers. any questions, pm me, and ill help more, i use a smc router.