First Car

Im gunna be buying my first car soon but i dunno what the best 'first car' is. I got ?3500 to spend and i wanna get a car with good saftey features moer than anything else. Anyone got any ideas on what car i could get 2nd hand for this price etc?

Yeah, you can get a nice car for ?3500

Go for something with an engine size 1.3 or less or you'll pay loads on insurance (if you're younger than 20)

Best thing is just to look around, try www.autotrader.co.uk maybe, I'm no expert on invidual types

Also, a good idea is to get your parents names to be on the insurance. It's seriously cheaper for older people than for say anyone under 21.

As for the actual car. I'd go small but safe, easy to park, low fuel consumption, better power from a small engine (light vehicle) and since you most of the time dont need to seat 5 people who cares if your friends get their knees nackered once in a while? Check out Renault Clio. Possibly Renault Megane.

Have a look at VW Polo 1.4 ... cheap insurance (Group 4) and good fuel economy. Lots of my friends and work colleages of the same age got one of them as a 1st or 2nd car.

Aside from that Pug 106or306 and Renault Clio.

-RandyC-

i'd say go with a corsa, my friend has one there pretty neat little cars, his is only a 1.0i 12v though (yes only 3 cyclinders), but for that money you could get a nice 1.2 or 1.4.

either that or a polo or golf

i'd say go with a corsa, my friend has one there pretty neat little cars, his is only a 1.0i 12v though (yes only 3 cyclinders), but for that money you could get a nice 1.2 or 1.4.

either that or a polo or golf

really? i always thought the 12v badge on the back of corsa's meant 3 valves per cylinder instead of 2

yeh at first i thought that, but then when i thought about the logic of having 3valves per cylinder it just doen't work, or at least it doesn't work to any great advantage.

It's called the Vaxhall Ecotec Engine, the size of the main engine block is tiny, i think the idea is by dropping the cylinder it reduces the weight of the car, and then by adding 4valves per cynlinder it makes up for the performance and a little more, this makes the Ecotek 1.0i 12v engine capible of being quicker than the older 1.2i engines that had all 4 cylinders but only 8vavles. While still keeping the fuel consumtion nice and low, ideal for first time buyers on a tight budget.

for a first car id say with get something like a cheap second hand ford fiesta. statistically a lot of drivers have an accident within the first year of driving. the advantage with getting a cheap fiesta for about ?700, is that after 6-12 months you can sell it for about the same amout and not loose any money on it. also the insurance is very cheap and you get loads of miles to the gallon. make sure you get one that has almost a full year mot on it though, then sell when theres only about 4 months left on it.

only problem with that is if you have no no-claims bonus, you will be paying ?1500+ in insurance on a ?700 car, i'd suggest spending at least the amount the insurance is going to cost on a first car to make it worth while.

true with any car if you <20 and have no no-claims its rediculas. if you have a parent that has no-claims, go on their insurance till your 20-21 then get your own and build up you own no-claims. the insurance for my old 1.1 fiesta i bought was only about ?500/year with tesco they were the cheapest i found, its still about ?500 with my new 1.4 corsa.