Workstation service fails on boot

Hi guys, I have a problem with the Workstation Service, and more importantly one of its depedencies the Computer Browser service. It all happened after Windows Update managed to crash, or something, the servers been up for a good month and it's seen allot of things happen in the mean time. Since the reboot about 4 days ago (due to a DNS change) these services fail. I can't browse the network anymore, which is particulary annoying. How do I repair these services.

Error message: "Could not start the Workstation service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found."

The workstation service runs from %SystemRoot%\System32\wkssvc.dll, make sure this file exists and you might try restoring it from the installation source (Y) Don't forget to register it by running regsvr32 wkssvc.dll ;)

It was probably deleted during an update and the new file wasn't copied correctly. I don't know, but at least you got it working :happy: You... DID get it working... Right? :huh:

Run msconfig and on the general tab click Expand file (Y)

Or, if you're more adventurous, access the \i386 folder on the CD and copy the file wkssvc.dl_ file to your desktop. Rename it to the .cab extension, then extract the file inside to your \windows\system32 folder. Finally, run the command I gave above to tell Windows to use the file.

you could try going to a command line and typing: sfc /scannow.

This should kick off a system scan for all systems files, and replace the ones that are missing or incorrect.

Tim

I've had this happen on a Windows XP Professional box, I was updating it and the power went out, and when I restarted the machine, it would lock up for 2-3 minutes at a time, I managed to get into the services configuration panel to find Workstation was trying to start but couldnt, unfortunately in that situation the only fix that worked was format. :(