Remote Desktop

Question

16 answers to this question

I enabled "Allow users to remotley connect to this computer", I went into "select remote users" and it said that my username was already enabled. Then on my laptop at work, I downloaded Remote Desktop from MS, and in connect i typed in my DNS2GO name, but nothing :(

The answer to your question is simple. No matter what ports you've opened at home, your work is most likely a different story. Your work, if they're smart, blocks all RDP (remote desktop protocol) connections. I know they block it at my work. My suggestion would be to use an app like pcAnywhere (used to love it, I now think it's bloatware) or better yet, Remote Admin (www.radmin.com). Your work most likely allows outgoing connections on these ports since they are TCP/UDP connections and not RDP. Even if they don't allow those ports, you can change the ports they use to another port like 80 or 21, which your work should not block since these ports are used in everyday surfing for http and ftp. Hope I have helped you out.

-red five

I work in the IT department as well. It's not all about ports, it's about protocols. How safe do you think it would be for a corporation to leave a protocol open that allows remote desktop connections to machines inside it's network? They block RDP connections BOTH WAYS - in & out.

Unless you can configure the proxy/gateway to let you use RDP connections, there's no use. Not even the highest IT guys in my department are allowed to do that. It may be different for you, but I work at one of the top 10 corporations in the United States. Things are VERY secure over here. You can't even ping outside of the network.

home doesn't have remote desktop! remember it was removed to make it cheaper! The settings are there and you can configure them i think but there is no Remote Desktop in the home version of XP. You need to have professional on both machines for it to work. You'll need to get another software that does remote desktop if you need to do that kinda work.

Are you connecting your Home PC throw LAN or by InterNet ?

if by Internet then you need follow these steps !!!

install Remote Desktop Web Connection

1- Control Panel

2- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

2- Select Internet Information Services, and then click Details.

3- In the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services list,

select World Wide Web Service, and then click Details.

4- In the Subcomponents for World Wide Web Service list, click

the Remote Desktop Web Connection check box, and then

click OK.

5- In the Windows Components Wizard, click Next.

6- Open Internet Services Manager.

7- Expand the folder hierarchy until you reach the local computer

nameWeb SitesDefault Web Sitetsweb folder.

8- Right-click the tsweb folder and then click Properties.

9- Click the Directory Security tab on the Properties dialog box.

10-In Anonymous access and authentication control, click Edit....

Check the Anonymous access check box on the

Authentication Methods dialog box, and then click OK twice.

To connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Web Connection

1- Ensure that Remote Desktop Web Connection is installed and running on the Web server.

2- Ensure that your client computer has an active network connection and that the WINS server service (or other name resolution method) is functioning.

3- On your client computer, start Microsoft Internet Explorer.

4- In the Address box, type the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) for the home directory of the Web server hosting Remote Desktop Web Connection.

The URL is "http://" followed by the Windows Networking name of your server, followed by the path of the directory containing the Remote Desktop Web Connection files (default = /Tsweb/). (Note the forward slash marks.) For example, if your Web server is registered with the WINS server as "Admin1", in the Address box you type: http://admin1/tsweb/, and then press ENTER. The Remote Desktop Web Connection page appears on the screen.

5- In Server, type the name of the remote computer to which you want to connect.

6- Optionally, specify the screen size and logon information for your connection.

7- Click Connect.

P.S This Help is takin from Microsoft Help & Support

Originally posted by bennyboyamo

Hello

Can someone please help me with remote desktop.

I have it enabled on my XP PC at home, but when I use my laptop at work, I cannot connect.

Please Help

Ben :)

Use VNC, as long as you have a decent connection its fantastic. You can connecty to any Win32 PC with VNC installed and carry the remote around on a floppy to connect from anyhwere you have net access, and its FREE.

www.uk.research.att.com/vnc

do what Xahid said, thats how i have it setup, and i can remote from any internet pc :)

i have also noticed that when i use my name (dns2go) it does not work, and i need to type in the ip addr. im behind a firewall (router) and it still works, with almost everything closed off, just use an ip. and try the web service, its really ncie.