"The local device name is already in use" Error?

I?m using Windows 2000 Professional on a LAN in workgroup environment. There are 6 PCs in this network, 4 desktop workstations, 1 laptop workstation and 1 server. I have several network folders mapped as local drives. They are all mapped to the server formatted in NTFS.

Last Wednesday, only 1 desktop workstation start to get an error when I try to save a file from a program (like MS Office, Word Perfect or anything) to the mapped drives, I get this error:

An error occurred while reconnecting E: to \\File-server\File-share

Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.

[OK]

I never got this error message before until last Wednesday. There is a disconnected icon on the mapped drives, but when I click on that drive, it show the online status. I have no problem access to those drives, copy delete files. the problem will happen when I try to save files from other application (not direct access to that drive/folder).

It will show those error message, but when I click OK, it will save files to the server. It's annoying to get this error message everytime I try to save files from other application to the server drive(mapped drive).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,:):)

Edited by Kasteo

I have came across this a few times, their is a fix from Microsoft. You need to check out the Microsoft KB for that. As far as network device already in use, you can flush the net use db with a command. Once again i don't know the name of that command off the top of my head but you can find it in the KB. Well i hope these directions helped you out.

Have fun!!!

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I saw that Microsoft KB, but it's for the Windows XP. I'm not sure the same patch will work with Windows 2000 or not since it intend for only Windows XP. <Link>

I will try to search for the net use db flush command. If anyone know this command, please let me know. :D

Thank you,

Are you using a login script to assign the drive mappings? It sounds to me like it's trying to assign that drive mapping again when it already exists.

No, I'm not using a login script. I just assign the drive and make it reconnect when login. The weird thing is it show the disconnected icon on mapped drive, but when I click on it, it said it's online and I have no problem access it. The only error I got is when I try to save file from other application like MS Office, Word Perfect,.... .