PS2 mouse jerky

I have a few mouses, all PS2 ones as well as a few no-name versions and I've come across a wierd thing.

I have a laptop, winbook, and if i plug in a Microsoft Intellimouse PS2 wheel mouse or one of the no-name ones, (without a wheel and even my new silver plated mouse) the mouse is extremely jerly and jumps around a lot when you try to move them to the point that it is completly unusable.

I then take an ordinary 2 button Microsoft PS2 mouse and it works, no problem in the same computer (remembering to reboot after changing the mouse!)

I also recently got a silver plated PS2 mouse no-name, and it does not work either in the laptop or a quite recent PC. If I plug in the silver PS2 mouse into another computer, (both running win98se with the latest drivers) it works on that computer but not on some others.

My question is whether there is come kind of incompatability between certain PS2 mouses, or maybe there is two specifications of PS2 kicking around.

I have a few ideas, maybe due to the driver, but I have installed both the default microsoft driver that comes with win98se and the new intellimouse drivers from Microsoft's site, and still cannot fathom this out.

Another idea is the sampling rate of these mouses are incompatable, either for the mouse or the mouse driver, have thought of bumping up the sampling rate but have not got to that stage yet.

Any help appreciated

The laptop is a Pentium II 266, with 96mb memory, so maybe there is some kind of incompatability with the winbook. That still does not explain why some non-wheel mice will not work in certain computers.

I'm going to do some more testing of the siler-plated mice to see what drivers/hardware combo work/or not.

well the same as fr alot of components for a pc you should never buy the cheap brand for they don't always work but yet not all the new ones work the mice may be too new for Win98SE you might have to have an upgrade to WINME