Trillian Pro 2.01

This will be the first of my many software reviews :)

Software: Trillian Pro 2

Price: $25 USD

Front%20Page%20Shot%20Small.jpg

The Good: Connects to AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, Jabber, and Sametime simultaneously; Skinnable; Numerous plugins available; Much less memory usage than the individual clients; lets you rename your contacts to custom names.

The Bad: Costs $25; has dodgy support if you want to sign onto the same medium with 1+ screennames; if an IM service feels like kicking Trillian off, they can.

Installation:

Easy. Click next, click next, and you're done.

Ease of Use:

If you're familiar with any of the IM programs, you'll be right at home here. Options dialog is a bit daunting, but easy to understand.

Notables:

Some great plugins for this one.

Do Me: Lets you schedule things and reminds you of stuff at times you set.

MiniBrowser: Lets you see HTML based profiles.

AccuWeather: Gets you the weather and displays it.

IM Everywhere: VERY versatile plugin.. Lets you access your trillian from any browser (even if its non-java enabled), even from your phone!

Message Splitter: Lets you get around that annoying message character limit.

The Bottom Line: Even if you use just one IM medium, get this program! The features, GUI, and options far surpass that of any single client.

Coming Soon... A review of MirandaIM!

are we allowed to discuss in here? or is it for reviews only? i personly like trillian, i have no problems with it. does everything i want. don't bash it til you try it :)

yes along as the discussion is relevent to this review & stays in this thread only. Any spam will be removed.

Thanks

:spam:

Heh.

Well personally I like Miranda IM and Gaim more than Trillian, but Trillian has it's uses also. While Miranda is very powerful thanks to it's plugin architecture, and Gaim is well, Gaim. Trillian is insanely plugin friendly, I'm surprised there isn't a "flush the toilet" plugin for Trillian.

It looks delicious, and the skins for it are amazing (well some aren't). Miranada and Gaim don't have anything on Trillian in that area.

I love Trillian Pro. It is one of those programs that you just would feel wrong pirating :) . I admit, I downloaded version 1.0 anmd used it for a couple of weeks, but I loved it so much, I bought it around the time 2.0 came out. Version 2.0 is awesome.

And to StOrM, FYI, you can skin Trillian to look like anything you want. They even have an MSN messenger skin that looks exactly like the original.

i love i .. glad i paid for it .. sometimes hard to get skins to match everything go ... which is a good thing about miranda .. native skinning.

I love Trillian Pro. It is one of those programs that you just would feel wrong pirating :)

lol, seriously! At the end of the Trillian 1.0 install, you got a popup message telling you how pirating is bad and that the developers don't get any money out of it :laugh: Remember that?

i tried it once.. when i was using AIM and MSN.

i don't like the GUI and as vip said, it was hard to get matching skins. but after a while i got everyone to switch to MSN so that i don't have to use that godaweful AIM. and there was no need for trillian anymore.

is there any place we can see the difference between the lastest pro version and the lastest normal version or trillian?

The free version hasn't changed at all so just look at the new features page for pro.

pro really is the way to go. the regular just doesn't have the features. i was lucky enough to beta test 1.0, so i got it for free :)

the good thing is itt works under wine so it works under linux the bad thing is u need to use wine that also supports m$'$ viruses

Does it support MSN games or webcam? I haven't used trillian for ages, and am curious wether it does now.

No MSN game support. It only supports Yahoo webcam only for the moment.

Two Q,'s:

1. What are the differences between the basic free version to the pro version?

2. I use miranda because it takes almost no resources (less than 2 mb of ram and no cpu time). How much resources does trillian catch up in your system (minimized and maximized)?

Thanks.

Two Q,'s:

1. What are the differences between the basic free version to the pro version?

2. I use miranda because it takes almost no resources (less than 2 mb of ram and no cpu time). How much resources does trillian catch up in your system (minimized and maximized)?

Thanks.

1. The Pro version has more skins and supports plugins. Also, the Pro version has a little popup on the bottom right of the screen whenever someone signs on/off (you can alter the settings for it too). The free version has no plugin supports (you don't really need them anyways) and lacks certain skins available for the Pro.

2. At the minute, trillian.exe is using 4,112k memory minimzed and 5,336k memory maximized. But I have an awesome skin on it; I bet if I used a minimal skin, the memory usage would go down. It has no noticeable CPU affect either.

post-104-1083099000.jpg

Plugin support

Skin support

Yahoo webcam

other things listed here.

2. Trillian uses less resources then GAIM or Miranda on my machine. Maximized 8,704K, minimized 1,240K. That's after it's been running awhile, with 100 or so contacts and a few plugins turned on.

I paid the $25....Not too much for a great program. I have no problem paying developers for awesome products....

As far as webcams, wasent that like so last year? :D