Chargers told not to draft Manning

Eli Manning's agent has asked the San Diego Chargers not to draft former Ole Miss QB Eli Manning. Reports are that Eli's father, Archie Manning, does not want his son to be drafted by the Chargers. The Chargers understand the wishes of Archie Manning, but will not let it affect their decision.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04...tory?id=1787271

hmmm you know what tox, i dont have the answer for that one... i think yes you can get drafted and just be a holdout until someone signs you. but im not sure though!

correct me, but being drafted doesnt necessary mean he has to sign there...

True, but if he doesn't sign then he has to sit out a year since the team that drafts him has his rights until the next draft. It's the same situation the Texans had when they drafted Drew Henson last year in the 6th or 7th round. They held his rights, so when he left baseball they were the ones other teams had to go through to get him.

I think the reason Archie doesn't want Eli to play for the Chargers is because he saw how it was to play for a losing team (Saints) while being talented himself. I'm sure he's just trying to keep Eli from getting into the same situation. The only thing I don't understand is that if the Chargers pick 1st and the Giants are picking 4th, that doesn't mean the Giants are that much better anyway. If I were him, and even if he's half as talented as Peyton then I think San Diego would be a better fit. They have a top 5 RB who should give them a 1-2 attack.

The crazy thing is, though it probably won't happen, but imagine if the Chargers take Eli and the Supreme Court ruling on Maurice comes after the draft in his favor. The supplemental draft would give the Chargers first pick again and if they give up their 1st round pick next year, they can get Eli and Mike Williams this year to go with LT. That's 3 premiere players at 3 of the biggest positions.

I don't think the supplamental works that way. It becomes a lottery with the team with the worst record, the chargers, getting the most lottery balls, and then it's all random. So it wouldn't be guaranteed that the Chargers would get the highest pick in the supplmamental draft.

Good Lord...

Eli isn't as good as Peyton, yet Peyton went to the Colts when they were pretty crappy as well, and he's turned them into a playoff team. Maybe Archie thinks Eli sucks and can't win unless he's surrounded by very talented players?

This ****es me off on all kinds of levels. First, Terrell Owens gets to decide what team he wants to play for AFTER the team that held his contractural rights dealt him. Now, this crap with some grown kid's dad trying to help him get onto a winning team. WTF??? Don't any of you see something wrong with this?? I'm sure Archie Manning is a nice guy, he always seems down to earth and loyal in his interviews, but this is complete garbage.

If I'm Eli I would feel embarrassed and ashamed that my father thinks I don't have the balls to take a losing team to the promised land. The NFL is getting seriously eroded with a bunch of cry babies and pathetic excuse makers....<sigh> :no:

Eli Manning is considered to be first pick in the draft and would headed to the Chargers, but he doesn't want to go, can you blame the guy??

I don't think the supplamental works that way. It becomes a lottery with the team with the worst record, the chargers, getting the most lottery balls, and then it's all random. So it wouldn't be guaranteed that the Chargers would get the highest pick in the supplmamental draft.

they could draft clarett if he goes to the supp draft :p

This ****es me off on all kinds of levels. First, Terrell Owens gets to decide what team he wants to play for AFTER the team that held his contractural rights dealt him. Now, this crap with some grown kid's dad trying to help him get onto a winning team. WTF??? Don't any of you see something wrong with this?? I'm sure Archie Manning is a nice guy, he always seems down to earth and loyal in his interviews, but this is complete garbage.

TO has proven that he can catch the ball and deliver to the endzone. So, he can shout as much as he wants and finally, the commish had to give in to him.

Eli has not proven anything so far. Amatuer and Pro football are two different things. Being succesful in one does not guarantee the other. The awe of playing in NY is playing on archie's mind and that is why he has said that he does not want SD to pick Eli. I still think that SD will trade the position with the Giants simply because

1.) they waste a pick by picking a player who will not play for them.

2.) they would not like to hear the news that they caved to a guy who is not yet playing in the NFL. So, that shows that the player doesnt control the draft.

3.) if they pick him and somehow change his mind (highly unlikely) to play for SD, what is to say that Eli wont demand something big in the future?

I think that Archie has played a huge role in making Eli think that they would not be good in 2 years time. Also, I dont think that SD can overcome Oakland for the next 3 years with Sapp and Washington powering the defense of Oakland.

Here's what really stinks about the whole situation. The draft works the way it is. The teams that need help (ie: The ones that blow) get higher draft picks to get the players they need/want. The team picks the player, not the other way around. Now there's a report that if the Chargers do take Manning, he's willing to sit out the year and enter next years draft. If that's the case, as much as it would hurt to take him and not have him this year, I would love to see the Chargers finish with the worst record again, take him 1st next year and see what he does.

TO has proven that he can catch the ball and deliver to the endzone. So, he can shout as much as he wants and finally, the commish had to give in to him.

Eli has not proven anything so far. Amatuer and Pro football are two different things. Being succesful in one does not guarantee the other. The awe of playing in NY is playing on archie's mind and that is why he has said that he does not want SD to pick Eli. I still think that SD will trade the position with the Giants simply because

1.) they waste a pick by picking a player who will not play for them.

2.) they would not like to hear the news that they caved to a guy who is not yet playing in the NFL. So, that shows that the player doesnt control the draft.

3.) if they pick him and somehow change his mind (highly unlikely) to play for SD, what is to say that Eli wont demand something big in the future?

I think that Archie has played a huge role in making Eli think that they would not be good in 2 years time. Also, I dont think that SD can overcome Oakland for the next 3 years with Sapp and Washington powering the defense of Oakland.

The thing is, this will set a precident for future NFL drafts. Any egotistical superstar college football player who comes into the draft projected #1 will feel he doesn't deserve to play for a losing team, blah blah blah. So, really, what's the point of having a #1 pick? And then the team, like the Chargers here, in a position to either give in to the player (who hasn't proven anything) or they draft him with the hopes that he MIGHT play for them.

Now, I hope Eli goes to New York and completely sucks a big one. The media will rip him a new one 2 times over To me, he's not even the best QB in the draft (do you hear me, Ben Rothelsberger?), let alone the best player.

eli can go **** himself. i had some respect for him, but not anymore. sorry dip****, but the team chooses the player, not the other way around. you haven't proven a goddamn thing yet, you are no better than anybody else in that draft right now. what makes you different then any of the other #1's in the past? just cuz your dad and brother played pro, doens't mean you're gonna be as good as they are. he is really ****ing me off, i hate the "i'm better than everyone else and deserve to be placed on a better team so i never have to know what it feels like to lose". i hope eli turns out to be the next ryan leaf. **** him.

eli can go **** himself. i had some respect for him, but not anymore. sorry dip****, but the team chooses the player, not the other way around. you haven't proven a goddamn thing yet, you are no better than anybody else in that draft right now. what makes you different then any of the other #1's in the past? just cuz your dad and brother played pro, doens't mean you're gonna be as good as they are. he is really ****ing me off, i hate the "i'm better than everyone else and deserve to be placed on a better team so i never have to know what it feels like to lose". i hope eli turns out to be the next ryan leaf. **** him.

i couldn't agree more w/ Bro.

the draft is part of gettin' in the NFL...if Manning can't handle it, i'll take care of it for him for half his signin' bonus.

Einstein couldn't talk 'til he was four years old, yet he made something of himself. and i think not talkin' fer 4 yrs is more troublesome than bein' drafted by the Chargers 'n havin' to settle w/ an eight figure salary (call me crazy; 'ni'llkillya). If i had my way i'd let each of the Chargers smoke his As$s fer the disrespect.