[NBA] Tim Thomas - A Madman or A Real Knick?

Making his first public comments since the incident, Thomas vowed to play again in the series if for no other reason than "just so I could hit somebody."
As I have said on these forums before, I am, and have always been, a fan on the Knicks.

Tim Thomas got taken out of Game 01 with a hard foul (a flagrant for sure) from Jason Collin's of the Nets, and this is what he had to say in more detail to the press yesterday about it...

April 22, 2004 --  A furious Tim Thomas has all but put a bounty on the Nets' heads.

In an unprecedented diatribe, Thomas repeatedly challenged his Knick teammates to retaliate tonight in Game 3 at the Garden, saying he hopes they take out a Net like he was taken out last Saturday in Game 1 while airborne for a dunk.

In his first comments since being knocked out of the Lincoln Tunnel Series by a controversial foul by Jason Collins, Thomas also slammed Kenyon Martin, calling him a "fake tough guy" and saying repeatedly he was a "fugazy" - an Italian slang reference for fake jewelry.

"My goal is just to get back out there on the court and go hit somebody," Thomas said. "That's it. That's all I'm looking forward to do. What's been done to me is going to be done to them."

Thomas' explosive remarks at yesterday's practice inflamed the situation tenfold as the Knicks host their first playoff game tonight in three years, trailing 0-2 and needing a victory more than a gang war.

"Nobody's really responded," Thomas said. "I'm just waiting for somebody to do something. I'm going to be all right off the court. My concern is on the court how we respond."

Told he's calling for an act that could affect somebody's livelihood, Thomas shot back, "Nobody cares [about me] on their behalf. I've been hearing all kind of talk. It's easy. As it's been done to me, it could be done to them. I'm just waiting to see how they respond." 

But Thomas, who is out tonight and likely out for the series with a back and bruised ankle, wants payback, saying he is disappointed nothing has happened yet despite Dikembe Mutombo's declaration of war.

"Definitely," Thomas said. "Deep down inside it hurts. This is the time of year, it's war. At that time, when I was laying on the floor, I expected somebody to do something, to push or shove anybody. It never happened. But we still got two games left and I'm still waiting to see what's going to happen.

"I don't care if it was Moochie [Norris] or Frank [Williams]. In that situation, you've got to respond. You have to. They understand what it is. It's now just a matter of who's going to do what. My teammates still have time."

NBA disciplinarian Stu Jackson said he was "disturbed"by Thoams' remarks, and the sensitive Martin certainly will be steaming about Thomas questioning his toughness.

"I just think he's fugazy all around, he's a fugazy guy," Thomas said. "He's fugazy as far as the whole tough-guy role. You get fined. That makes you tough? Because you're game is wild and crazy? That makes you tough. For a guy to have a wild game to get technicals and fines. That makes you tough? Why? Somebody call Don King and look it up.

"It's just fugazy. When a scuffle breaks out you have 13 guys to protect you. When it's you and somebody else, what happens next? He's a pitbull who picks and chooses who to fight."

The Knicks believe Thomas is just blowing off steam, angry he may not play again until training camp.

Lenny Wilkens said Thomas is "frustrated" but added, "I think none of the players has forgotten what happened to him."

Now I hate to admit it, but I personally think this is great. The Knicks used to be a feared team way back when, and I like the fact Tim has some of that fight in him.

However he is no Chalres Oakley, and I do also feel it was rather dumb off him to make his true feelings so public. The refs are going to be all over the Knicks like flies to poop.

I alsoi read somewhere else that it was probably the painkillers he is taking talking as well. :D

Still overall I am glad to see someone on the Knicks besides kurt Thomas (and even Stephon to a degree) has some of the classic Knicks "pull no punches" mindset in their head that made them my favorite team to watch from the early 80's throughout the 90's.

(Y)

you think this is great???... DL this is not hockey or football... there is no way to tell for sure that the hit on Thomas was intentional... if anything (like you said) this will just end up hurting your beloved Knicks... they dont need any thing else going against them... isnt this the reason they got rid of Spreewell.. he was a great player but was just more of a problem to the team.. im surprised you would have this attitude that there should be some retaliation against another player(you didnt say that directly) but you implied with your attitude saying the only thing he did wrong was let it be known publicly... anyway.. DL.. im shocked.. :no:

you think this is great???... DL this is not hockey or football... there is no way to tell for sure that the hit on Thomas was intentional... if anything (like you said) this will just end up hurting your beloved Knicks... they dont need any thing else going against them... isnt this the reason they got rid of Spreewell.. he was a great player but was just more of a problem to the team.. im surprised you would have this attitude that there should be some retaliation against another player(you didnt say that directly) but you implied with your attitude saying the only thing he did wrong was let it be known publicly... anyway.. DL.. im shocked.. :no:

:D

Well as i did say, I did hate to admit it, but yes I do think this is great... if nothing but for the simple fact that I believe the Knicks have turned into a soft team that has no heart... And although yes basketball is not hockey or football, all basketball fans now that the Playoffs equals rougher Physical Play, and tensions flare quite easily, and although yes you cannot tackle or check a guy, a little push here and there, even a little wild elbow thrown when going for a rebound, is par for the course...

Also take Kenyon Martin from the Nets, although i agree for the most part with Tim Thomas' overall view about him, at least Kenyon gives off the persona that he does not take no BS and that he will stand up for himself and or teammates. I have actually heard him referred to by commentators as a Thug. LOL I like this simply because it shows he has heart in him and he is a proud player for his team.

When Thomas was lying face down on the ground, and they panned to his teammates, they all looked like scared puppy dogs. That equals no heart to me.

Do I think they should go out and blatantly foul a Net now? NO

Do I think they should go out and foul someone really hard? YES I probably do.

By doing so I believe you say to the Nets we will not tolerate you walking all over us other than letting your basketball do the talking. However since the Nets turned it into a gloating game (Jason Kidd standing over Frank William's taunting him on the floor), it is more than just this one incident. The Knicks are being bullied around, so YES I think they should retaliate with something.

Maybe I am also so for this because Tim Thomas along with Penny Hardaway seemed to be the only Knick there to play in game 01 as well, and I cant help but feel it was perhaps done intentionally, although yes this cant be proved.

And they got rid of Spree because of poor management, plain and simple. Yes we all know he had his problems in the past, and because of those problems thats why he was considered a liability. While Spree was here he was nothing short of a gentlemen and on his best behavior in the grand scheme of things (yeah he was late for multiple practices so from that aspect I can see things), so don't even get me started on them getting rid of him, especially when he scores 32 for Minnesota just last night...

Finally, I do know retaliating would hurt the Knicks even more, and you know what? Good. LOL I now want them to get swept simply because it is easier for my sanity. I told my friends who were at my house watching game 02 the other night, on my tombstone make sure it sayd "He probably had more years to live, but being a Knick fan led him to an early death."

retaliate. if the league isn't looking after the players, then you have to look out for yourself/teamates.

although i don't think anyone is basketball is a tough guy. i've seen numerous fights in basketball games, never have i seen a solid punch landed. now hockey, thats a real mans sport :) you **** with somebody in hockey, you can expect to get your ass handed to you.