common dialog

for some reason the open/save dialog that comes up wont remember last directories....it always wants to open and save starting in c: and even when i save or open from somewhere else it doesnt get it through that i dont want to open a damn thing form c: is there anyway i can make it remember or just have it open and save at a default place like my documents instead of c: always?

it happens no matter what i do......downloading from the web...saving documents..opening documents....anything you can think of...the default directory always opens or saves in c: and i have to go and change it to my documents everytime and its real annoying......is there like a registry setting to change the default directory whenever the commondialog control is used?

Not that I know of. Like I said it is the individual programs responsibility to remember the location you last used. For instance, right now here in IE 6 if I use the load or save dialogs they both remember the last place I loaded and saved to/from. Wish I could be of more help.

If you are comfortable editing the registry:

Take a look through these keys;

HKEY_Current_UserSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent versionExplorerUser Shell Folders

HKEY_Current_UserSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent versionInternet Settings

I am not quite sure what to change (because I have never had this problem, if any. If you are feeling comfortable have a fiddle around with the stings etc.

Good Luck :s...:)

According to aco, by editing the registry at HKEY_Current_UserSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrent versionExplorerUser Shell Folders key name "Personal" will make the specify value equal to your default save folder.

Originally posted by PabUK  

And just in case you have never used the registry editor (and therefore don't know how to launch it), just select Run from the start menu and type 'regedit' and hit enter.

PabUK: If he/she hasn't used regedit yet, I don't recommend starting on something like this!

Start on something more clearcut, for example applying manual cable/xDSL tweaks. http://www.speedguide.net

:)

sorry aco and freexa, I didn't read exactly what you said to change (in other words, how vague it was!).

I would suggest to anyone that has not edited the registry before TO DO SO because everyone has to start somewhere but in this case of course that is not a good idea as no exact instructions are given.

Glad freexa didn't dive in there and mess anything up!