Visual Styles Explained

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good overlook on the ways that Windows UI can be skinned. Has turned my views on skinning quite a bit actually. However, since it seems that Neowin admins are quite passionate on removing or closing down topics that concern circumventing various techniques on removing protections on Windows (like Product Activation and so on), I still don't understand why is skinning with MSStyles legit. I mean, it is still circumventing certain protections that MS has on Windows (removing protection of enabling non-Microsoft-signed MSStyles).

Any comments on that perhaps?

Here is an excellent 8 page guide on how Visual Styles on XP work. Written by Brad Wardell for Neowin.

Read it here, comments are welcome.

Very informative, good for everyone who wants to know more about what a Visual Style is really made of.

But I have one question though... why was it Posted by Frogboy on 08 August 2002 and made "public" now ?

Pretty good overlook on the ways that Windows UI can be skinned. Has turned my views on skinning quite a bit actually. However, since it seems that Neowin admins are quite passionate on removing or closing down topics that concern circumventing various techniques on removing protections on Windows (like Product Activation and so on), I still don't understand why is skinning with MSStyles legit. I mean, it is still circumventing certain protections that MS has on Windows (removing protection of enabling non-Microsoft-signed MSStyles).

Not that its less 'illegal' but I suppose its because, for exemple, bypassing the Product Activation has do to with Security and illegal use more than just hacking through MS' GUI. Again, not that its better, but its probably the less of their worries (MS) that people hack through their msstyle format when there's people aquiring 'fake' cd-keys, bypassing Activation and such.

it's allowed for the same reason discussion on longhorn leaks are allowed. such a large volume of traffic comes to neowin for these two topics, they can't disallow their discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...