Which processor keeps a better temperature Pentium or Athlon

I have an AMD Athlon with 5 case fans, thermalright sk-6 heatsink, and an airplane sounding delta 50cfm 60mm fan. I was wondering since alot of people who have pentium 4's that I know have really queit fans with no case fans at all. It seems pentiums cool better than athlons? Is this true?

My cpu temp is around 94 Faren. (1.4ghz amd athlon thunderbird clocked at 1.5) btw

yeah. it's true.. i have a 1.6Ghz with normal fans and it at 34C right now. The reason (TO ME!!!) is that they run slower than they actually say they are so that's why they are cooler :) (that's gonna start a fight) But to me the AMDs do alot more work so that's why they are so hot..

oh and they have some "IHF" thingy.. i forgot what it's called but it's a heat spreader built in to the CPU (that casing) so that's another reason they handle heat better.

Pentium definately keeps a cooler temperature, it NEVER (no one has reported one) breaks when its hot too. Mine's running at 27C idle.. and dont forget to ALWAYS add thermal compound or it will heat up a lot.

Hey.... i thought in the future we weren't supposed to have all these fans?!

Not to start an arguement, but the reason that P4's run so much cooler than AMD's has to do with the architecture of the chip and the power requirements. Even back in the days of the Slot A and Slot 1 processors, when MHz for MHz they were a dead heat in speed, the Athlon's ran hotter.

The inference that Athlons run faster therefore hotter, is disproven by the disparity of the heat generated. For example . . . let's say for the sake of arguement, that a 1.2 GHz T-bird runs as fast as a 1.8 P4 . . . I don't think that too many folk would dispute the fact that the 1.2 still runs hotter than the P4.

Tom's Hardware did a neat deal where they removed the fan and heatsink from 2 processors each from both AMD and Intel. The AMD's heated up to several hundred degrees while the Intel's stayed at one hundred degrees or less.

Heat . . . is resistance. Energy is not lost it only changes form. The fact that AMD's convert more energy to heat demonstrates that Intel's process is far more efficient with it's energy than AMD's.

Tom's Hardware did a neat deal where they removed the fan and heatsink from 2 processors each from both AMD and Intel. The AMD's heated up to several hundred degrees while the Intel's stayed at one hundred degrees or less.

Erm.... the idea is to keep the fan on. It's like taking the doors off an oven and seeing which ones still cooks the best.... TOTALLY pointless. I've never found a need to have case fans and have never had a problem with temperature.

Who cares which runs hotter, seriously? I go with AMD because they are cheaper and everything I have seen shows that they are faster. I don't go with whichever one has the lower temperature.

I am getting FED UP of all the DOZENS of forums posts recently which are just repeating OVER AND OVER again that Pentiums are cooler and AMD's run hot and then melt your house down. FFS get a life, PLEASE!

It's not pointless. It's nice to know that if your fan dies on an intel board, your cpu wont explode into a fireball (notice the hyperbole). If a fan fails on an athlon however, you have something to worry about. Quite frankly I think it's ridiculous that people should have to keep software running 24/7 to monitor their fan speed/processor temperature just to keep their system from being damage (or bios settings). At least Intel had the good sense to make their processors more heat efficient - I like knowing that if a fan fails, I wont have a new 150 dollar keychain.

mortensen:

My comments were not an attempt to evaluate the relative speed of the processors or to evaluate which is the better processor. That is a subjective issue that only leads to a circular argument. It would be like me trying to convince a life long Ford fan that General Motors is superior. It cannot be done. Nor can I convince you that Intel is a better product, anymore than what you say will convince me that AMD is. We each hold our opinion and have our reasons for that.

However, the question was whether Intel processors handle heat better than AMD processors. I don't think that too many people would argue the fact, including AMD owners, that Intel processors generate less heat. It's physics, not an evaluation of the products functional qualities.

I wouldn't suggest that any processor be run without the fan and heatsink installed, but the results of that test do demonstrate quite effectively that AMD processors convert more energy to heat than do their Intel counterparts. Since this has always been so, it is a logical assumption that AMD is less efficient in energy management. It is a basic law of physics. Energy is NEVER lost, it only changes form.

I think you need to chill out a bit (no pun intended) and accept that any product, irrespective of it's origin is going to have idiosyncracies and characteristics that have to be dealt with. For AMD it seems more effective cooling solutions are required to maintain optimum performance. Your inability see something that simple, is arrogant and makes you look ignorant. I don't believe that's true about you, you seem articulate. AMD processors, for all of the positives that go along with them, have drawbacks as well.

Quite frankly . . . and I mean this in the most constructive manner . . . I don't care what you're fed up with any more than you might care what I'm fed up with.

Maybe you should just answer the man's question without the editorial emotions.

Remember . . . it is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

-TR

P.S. I was a manager of a pizza joint for a number of years. There was an oven developed called a Lang-Air that allowed for 'za's to be cooked with the door open. It used a forced air barrier to contain the heat. We got burned alot less and the oven's cooked faster due to the constant motion of the air within. So removing the oven door to see which cooks better is not pointless . . . from a certain point of view. Don't look at a subject with blinders on. Different issues are important to different people for different reasons. It isn't an issue of better or worse . . . it's efficacy.

Originally posted by mortensen

Who cares which runs hotter, seriously? I go with AMD because they are cheaper and everything I have seen shows that they are faster. I don't go with whichever one has the lower temperature.

I care becaues I want to get rid of my noisy delta fan and case fans without making the temperature to hot

I think that the fact that the Intel processors run cooler is significant.

Heat reduces the efficiency of the processor... so if a processor can be designed to create less heat and to dissipate heat better then this has to be a good thing.

I also feel the fan point is important. Internal fans inside pc's are not superbly reliable and provide a mechanical part of the system which could fail at any time. PC fans in particular are quite flimsy and are exposed to alot of dust which could clog them and cause other problems for the fan. It is likely that a fan will fail at some time (one wonders how many newbies suffer fan failure and do not notice when using intel!) and if the life of my proccessor were dependent on a flimsy mechanical link like that i would be very concerned indeed.

Most importantly of all, however... AMD are looking into the notebook market.... in notebooks power efficiency is king... a processor producing these huge amounts of heat is a big problem as that heat creation drains the batteries. This is not at all practical or acceptable.

I think overall this says somthing about the quality of Intels products, that they would pay attention to a detail such as this rather than overclocking their chips to get as much out of them as they can before rushing them to market as AMD do. This is one of the reasons why businesses rely on intel... their products are good quality and are durable.

Doesnt really matter, if you have the money.. get a pentium, if you dont have that much $$ just get an AMD and a good HSF with thermal compound (hey its only $10).

Would it be smart to leave a cpu in the freezer for a while.. would anyone try it?