The Ulitimate Free Webhosting Guide (not totally free tho')

Question

anywho,here my guide (more of a tip accually) lol,but this can be installed within 20 minutes on any ol' regular pc with at least 384mb RAM and a fast connection like cable is also recommended:

1. get apache (get mod_gzip too,it lowers ur page load speed)

2. get a mail server program for ur pc (like MDAEMON and send mail)

3. get mysql

4. get perl

5. get php (most important lol)

next install all that,get u some cool php scripts,and get a life :D

BTW, You can also go the easy route and get a mac g4 with OSX server and all the stuff preconfigured like I did,but I still installed a server on my gateway pc....

22 answers to this question

I would wait until Apache 1.3.24 if you're going to use php and run all this on Windows XP. Big arse bug on 1.3.23 that will give you hell trying to display your site properly.

i've always wanted to do this, but my isp tos bars me from using my connection for http server. :( thanks for the list though. if i ever find an isp that lets me do this, i'm gonna go wild. :rambo:

I've been wanting to do this myself, but my ISP (attbi) has been blocking port 80 since "code red". Can any figure out how to get around that? I have a domain which is being hosted elsewhere and I'd much rather host it myself and be able to do anything I want....

Well, I thought of that before. But wouldnt having the port in the address (ie, mydomain.com:1234) prevent the average web surfer from accessing the web site. I'm guessing that anyone who wants to access the site would have to include the port. Is there a way around this?

hope that makes sense....

You can use ZoneEdit.com to manage your DNS settings. You can set the forwarding option to forward requests to yourdomain.com to go to yourdomain.com:1234. The person wishing to access the site won't notice the difference.

Check out ZoneEdit

You can use ZoneEdit.com to manage your DNS settings. You can set the forwarding option to forward requests to yourdomain.com to go to yourdomain.com:1234. The person wishing to access the site won't notice the difference.

Thanks, that is EXACTALLY what I was looking for...:cool: :cool: :D

ZoneEdit is great. Up until this week I was using it to host my site on my own computer.

Unfortunately, my DSL provider has been dropping my connection too often, and my web site has been going down too much. Windows can be set to redial, but sometimes I have to reset the modem so it will allow me to connect. I also host my own email server, so it's a huge problem.

I've been forced to move to a real hosting company. :mad:

You CAN install PHP on IIS, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's buggy and so is IIS. There are so many vunerabilities on it, it's rediculous. However, if you are running XP, it's probably your best option until 1.3.24 comes along and fixes the big bug with it (hurry apache group, HURRY! :D ). However, If you're only serving static pages (not php stuff), then you can use Apache fine. It only has that bug with SSI and PHP stuff, so it's fine for static pages for now. You can also try installing a 2nd linux box in your home somewhere and running Apache off of there. It's the BEST solution, but often the most overwhelming for n00bs. Just stick with it though, and you can't beat that setup.

Hope this info helps!

Originally posted by ^cYpHeR

Apache by far...

Not to make fun, but PHP is a coding language, not a daemon :)

why I know that,but there's a email server called MDAEMON,the same ppl who brought Dns2go to you made this product.It kicks ass.here's the link to mdaemon:

http://www.deerfield.com/products/mdaemon/

click download to download the mail server software.it sends email hella' fast when ppl use it on my locally hosted vbulletin board and my site.

Has anyone tried any of the apache 2.0 betas on XP Pro? I'm wondering if i could go with that or if i still have to wait for the newd version.

I've been poking around the Apache ftp site and I cant figure out what to download for a Windows based machine... can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

FoxServ is an Apache / mySQL / PHP installer package for Windows and Linux. Unlike NuShpere or PHPTriad, FoxServ features the latest version of all included pacakges, user defined configuration during installation, PHP as a module, PEAR, and the Zend Opt

Foxserv

Anyone know where to download a apache package with the latest apache/cgi/perl preconfigured???...my friend needs it since he can't install activeperl and stuff right :p