[College Basketball] Deng to test draft waters

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Duke freshman Luol Deng will make himself available for the NBA draft, but will keep open his option of returning to school by not hiring an agent, according to a published report Tuesday.

Aldo Deng told The News & Observer of Raleigh that his son would attend school and train at Duke during the summer in preparation for the June 24 draft in New York.

"That is what we know so far and we are happy with that," Aldo Deng told the newspaper Monday in a telephone interview from London.

A Duke spokesman said coach Mike Krzyzewski was out of town on Monday and could not be reached for comment, according to the newspaper.

"To put his name there, it would actually be to evaluate where he would [be drafted]," Aldo Deng told the newspaper. "If he is top five, of course, he would have to decide whether to stay in."

The 6-foot-8 forward had an impressive freshman season, averaging 15 points and seven rebounds. He was the MVP of the Atlanta Regional, leading the Blue Devils to the Final Four.

"That [Luol] gets to the draft with the backing of Duke, that is what the family wants," Aldo Deng told The News & Observer. "We aren't worried [about Luol getting] his education for the fact that education is there all the time.

"But this [NBA] opportunity is not always there. Anything can happen to you. You can be injured or whatever it is. We just hope that this does not make Duke unhappy with Luol and I don't think it will."

Source: Deng to test draft, will leave options open

What a moron. He isn't even that good.

Typical Anti-Devil :argh:

As a freshman, he was damn good. He had only one bad game all year. Also considering he can potentially play 4 positions, he can be a valuable asset to any NBA team.

I think Deng is a good talent, and will be a fantastic NBA player. I just think he is still pretty raw and another year of college, or 2, would be very beneficial....especially at Duke.

Of course, you can't blame a guy for following his dream and signing a large ($) contract.

Typical Anti-Devil  :argh:

As a freshman, he was damn good. He had only one bad game all year. Also considering he can potentially play 4 positions, he can be a valuable asset to any NBA team.

Anti-devil? My favoritism has no bearing on this issue. I just wasn't impressed a lot by him. he was a typical Duke player. he wasn't a great Duke player....

What's interesting is you have to be a great Duke player to make any noise in the NBA. Past 'greats': Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams, Johnny Dawkins, Cherokee Parks <stifles laughter>, Shane Battier, Trajan (sp) Langdon, Elton Brand, Corey Magette....

All but Brand...the jury is still out on Battier and Magette....have been average at best. Deng, IMO, doesn't show near the talent that those that have gone on before him.

The Anti-Devil comment is not necessary. Duke has a history of producing great college players who don't do much in the pros.

Let him leave. Maybe then UNC has a chance in beating Duke next season.

(btw, this is from a UNC fan :shifty:)

Anti-devil? My favoritism has no bearing on this issue. I just wasn't impressed a lot by him. he was a typical Duke player. he wasn't a great Duke player....

What's interesting is you have to be a great Duke player to make any noise in the NBA. Past 'greats': Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams, Johnny Dawkins, Cherokee Parks <stifles laughter>, Shane Battier, Trajan (sp) Langdon, Elton Brand, Corey Magette....

All but Brand...the jury is still out on Battier and Magette....have been average at best. Deng, IMO, doesn't show near the talent that those that have gone on before him.

The Anti-Devil comment is not necessary. Duke has a history of producing great college players who don't do much in the pros.

haha, word!!!

i agree 100%

duke players don't amount to **** in the pros. deng probably won't either.

"Test the draft waters" well if its put like that he'll drown, way to (as someone said) raw and young, it was evident in the tourney last yr, he made a good amount of stupid decisions that caused them to lose, bad shot choice and a few costly turnovers

I'm not too sure about that. Every position except center - maybe. I think Deng has great potential, but he should stay at Duke for another year or so. If he gets drafted, he'll just ride the bench for the first two years, maybe playing 5 minutes a game. :/

I got your back, yo.

You are correct. He is not even very good.

<yawns> but...we'll have to wait for the appologies, I am sensing...