[Coll Football] Proposal: 5th BCS bowl, title game

By Ivan Maisel

ESPN.com

The commissioners of the BCS conferences, the men who made the word "tweak" part of the college football lexicon, began their spring meetings in Phoenix on Monday with the idea of doing you-know-what to the formula that determines who plays in the national championship game.

Their goal is to find a way out of the embarrassment of last December, when the No. 1 team in both major polls, Southern California, finished No. 3 in the final BCS formula and was excluded from the national championship game. The sport ended up with both LSU and USC declared national champs, the very dilemma that the BCS had been concocted to avoid.

The BCS commissioners will also begin to formally consider the future of postseason college football after the current contract expires following the 2005 season. ABC Sports will make a proposal on Tuesday afternoon that will add a fifth bowl to the four-bowl rotation and include a national championship game, as well, to be played after the five games.

The "five-plus-one" plan, as first reported by the Boston Globe over the weekend, would include the bowls having "host" conferences, the concept that the bowls used for many years.

While the university presidents in the BCS have made clear their preference for adding a fifth bowl, the amount of support for the additional national championship game is less certain.

In any event, no decisions are expected to be made this week. The commissioners will next meet in June.

Source: Proposal: 5th BCS bowl, title game

The playoff system has worked fine in Division 2 and 3. I guess the ppl with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wants to make sure their teams gets in a bowl game. If they made a playoff, it will show who's the better team and it would prevent what happen last season.

for real?

damn, i hate all this ****, but you can bet i'll watch every single michigan game for the rest of my life. would a playoff work? probably. but it would suck if they ruined the past bowl scheme. all i gotta say is **** USC, and next time they win a national championship, i wanna see them do it on the road, in a hostilve environment :)

for real?

yes, i have no problem waiting until sunday to get my football fix. the bowl system and the BCS are bs.. i may go to some games when i'm attending Auburn this fall, but only because i'm a student, and after i leave it'll be back to pros only until they get this fixed

i don't think there is a problem. usc can go **** themselves. the computers treat everyone the same. they aren't biased. it's the coaches/espn people who are more often than not swayed by influential things, like when a loss occurs. congrats to lsu last year :)

College football neeeds a bowl game to decide the National Champion. The way it is done now with the rankings being determined by people, and not necessarily performance, is just plain dumb. There needs to be a Championship game where number 1 plays number 2. College football needs to be reorganized IMO.

College football neeeds a bowl game to decide the National Champion. The way it is done now with the rankings being determined by people, and not necessarily performance, is just plain dumb. There needs to be a Championship game where number 1 plays number 2. College football needs to be reorganized IMO.

umm, thats what they have right now. #1 ou played #2 lsu.

usc lost to the ****tiest team, the computers proved it, it's the human polls that mess it up.

umm, thats what they have right now. #1 ou played #2 lsu.

usc lost to the ****tiest team, the computers proved it, it's the human polls that mess it up.

I may have been unclear, but I think you completely missed my point. The rankings should not be based on numbers (aka rankings that the computers generate). They should have a playoffs. It would make college football more interesting and give the National Championship some meaning.