City Of Heros = Amazing

Ok well many of you may have read my post about looking for an RPG to play. Well I am not a big RPG fan besides Diablo II but once I started playing City Of Heros I was instantly hooked. It is really neat how you pick each individual skill set as well as basically every feature/clothing on your body (more than other MMORPG's i have tried). The game itself is fun to play and has yet to get old for me in any area. I have played it for some 12 hours straight (yes, straight!) and I still find it just as fun as when i first picked it up. Every person has a unique mission (so you dont have to do the same missions with every character you make) and you can also do co-op with up to 8 others, or make a squad with team colors (which is alot of fun as well). The game is very balanced in that you have a need for every archtype in your squad and upgrades are very open ended. The rest of the information can be seen at www.cityofheros.com and if you dont want to go to the store to buy it, www.plaync.com (what I did ;)). If anyone wants to give it a try give me a hollar and I will play with you! This game is SO worth the monthly fee (a little steep @ $15/mo but I will pay it!)

they accepted me to beta test it, only 2 days later to shut it down and release retail :/

from what i've seen, this game is nothing but combat...there is no crafting, buying/selling, etc

just plain combat. granted it's very nice combat, but how long will it be fun to beat up same clockworks, hells and thorns?

they accepted me to beta test it, only 2 days later to shut it down and release retail :/

from what i've seen, this game is nothing but combat...there is no crafting, buying/selling, etc

just plain combat. granted it's very nice combat, but how long will it be fun to beat up same clockworks, hells and thorns?

This is something that even I thought about however they also claimed that they will be adding onto the game to make it more complex down the road. This suposidly is the reason they charge $15/mo because they arent taking the EQ route of forcing $50 upgrade sets on users they just update the current game. Also as far as buying and selling, you have a thing called inheritance that you use to buy skills with (that can be bound into a weapon) this is much like the Diablo II gems. Also, you can create so many different combinations of characters it is amazing. Every character has a very very good chance of being unique because of the skills u bind to the attacks as well as look, and the powers they have. Also the missions themselves make you work with a team which brings in more fun because you can meet up with people and then experience more missions than when you are alone. Also the enviroment is massive so you find yourself emersed in these huge urban enviroments. Also some of the levels are hidden so you must find the entrance to them. For example, I just played a mission where you walked up to ordinary looking rocks, cliked on it and the rock slides down to reveal a cave. I also feared the combat would get old which it somewhat does if you dont advance to higher skilled enemies but that is not hard since they are scattered everywhere throughout the levels. I know it is a little early to tell but this game is the best MMORPG I have played since Diablo II. I highly recommend it!

I am on Liberty as either serox, sirix, or mage. I am on alot so it is not too hard to find me.

Also - I think I have seen your name around if you play on Liberty...

If you've ever seen Gary and Ace the ambigiously gay duo on SNL, you'll love these screenshots I got in-game of a couple of really bored gamers:

CoH_garyace1.thumb.jpg

CoH_garyace2.thumb.jpg

Lol the game looks great but too exepensive on my hand... gotta buy the game and p2p,,, too much for me... if it was a free dl and p2p i deffiantly plaY IT... props to the people who made the duo :p

You guys have to realize that games are taking a heavier turn toward P2P so you might as well get on the wagon. The reason is piracy and there is nothing we can really do about stopping piracy without goverment intervention. $15/mo is not much for a game if you honestly think about it and have some sort of income. I work at a resturant making $3.30/hr + tips and I somehow manage to pay for it and still have PLENTY of money left over for other stuff. Yes $15 does seem like alot of money and to some it is, however to most of us it really is just change when you think about what you are honestly going to spend that other $15 on...junk food, lending to friends, etc. That is just my two cents on people complaining about p2p games. This is also from a guy who swore never to p2p prior to my experiences with city of heroes.

By the way, i am proud to say I am the first neowin member who has played city of heroes retail (possibly even beta, i was in 1st phase).

oh come on, how can you really say youre the first? :)

there are probably others who also did the head start thing, though they may not be posting. i would have, if i felt like purchasing the game.... but meh. the beta was pretty fun though.

is there a free month? i do that with all mmorpgs, buy the game and use the free month because it seems to get old just as that month is up.

is there a free month? i do that with all mmorpgs, buy the game and use the free month because it seems to get old just as that month is up.

The first month is free.

I picked up the game last weekend, my thoughts:

-Practically create any superhero character you ever wanted to be, except mainstream like Superman or Batman. Though you can make yourself look pretty damn close to the Hulk, Spiderman, or even cartoon chars like Samurai Jack. Ever wanted to kick like Dragon Ball Z? Yep you can.

-Not being able to pick-up unique weapons or items is kind of lame. Whatever character you choose, choose well. You're stuck down that path and your powers are predefined for you, though there are well over two dozen possible character templates.

-RTFM. No really...you should.

-Missions are extremely lame for the first five levels. Hey, go kill 10 Hellions. Hey go find these missing jewels. Hey go warn so and so. One very nice feature, is that the mission locations or contact points are highlighted for you so you don't waste weeks running around trying to find someone or a specific locatin.

-The currency is known as influence points which are points you gain by killing mobs or completing missions. You can then use the currency to buy or trade for enhancements. Enhancements are essentially skill boosters you buy to boost your skills. As you increase in skill and level, enhancements are a must.

-Graphics, pretty good. Some of the powers look nice, and the comic like bubbles are funny.

-Can't just disconnect from the game. You have to wait 30 seconds...touch a key ooops, start all over again.

-Servers, plenty of servers, plenty of space on all the servers.

-No PvP yet, can't be a villian yet. Though supposedly the expansion pack will address this issue.

-Flying. Yea..you can fly, neat.

-Mouse movement. Okay, this is just weird for me having come from mainly first person shooters. If you want free mouse look,you either have to turn it on manually and then turn it off when you want to interact with a NPC or kick ass. Or, you can bind it to a button. Personally, this is annoying as all hell at first, but I've kind of gotten used to it. Can be a real bitch though climbing stairs that twist and turn.

All in all, an okay RPG. If you're a comic geek or always wanted to be like Neo from the Matrix, then you'll fall in love with it. If you're a hardcore RPG player who's tried EQ, DOAC, or AC, forget it. Wait till the expansion pack comes out.