USB 2.0 - Advantages Over 1.1?

Alright, I just placed an order for a new USB 2.0 PCI card only because my SiS 645 Ultra 333 motherboard blows butthole and won't allow my keyboard to boot up and get past POST.

Anyhow, beside it not being on board what's the real big deal to upgrade to USB 2.0 anyway?

Much much much higher data transfer rates than usb 1.1. Dont quote me on this, but I *believe* USB was 11mbs, and usb2.0 is 400mbs. Im too lazy to go check. In any case; Usb2.0's advantage is speed. Someone can feel free to post actual speeds.

I thought Firewire is 480Mbps and USB2.0 is 400Mbps. Or is it the other way around? I dunno

Edit...

Nope, seems like Firewire is 400Mbps and USB 2.0 is 480Mbps. I was wrong, oh well

Yeah, it's all about the speed. But until we get intellimouse 4.0 or whatever and usb2.0 compatable stuff I'll stick with usb1.1 :)

Right, we probably won't ever see a usb2 mouse/keyboard but oh well....maybe it will hapen sometime in the future.

As others have said before me, USB 2.0 supports much higher data transfer rates. With USB 1.1, you could only have a 4?4?16 external CD-RW drive. With USB 2.0, you can have a 24?10?40 external CD-RW drive. That's just one example. Also, USB 2.0 is backwards and forwards compatible. Any USB 1.1 device will run at USB 1.1 speeds on a USB 2.0 connection without a problem, and vice-versa for USB 2.0 devices, but I wouldn't recommend this.

Let me give you another example. Let's say you have a 20 GB portable MP3 player (there are several).

On a USB 1.1 connection, it takes about 16 hours to fill it up.

On a USB 2.0 connection, it takes under 40 minutes to fill it up.

That should give you an idea.

Originally posted by Radix

So only it's for usb 2.0 enabled devices, so my scanner cannot take advantage for this new technology

If your scanner is labeled as a USB 2.0 device, then it certainly can take advantage of this. If your scanner is a USB 1.1 device, and you connect it to a USB 2.0 port, it will operate at USB 1.1 speeds. USB 2.0 does not speed up existing USB 1.1 devices; it mearly allows you to connect them, as it would be an inconvenience if USB 2.0 wasn't backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

Why would they make a USB2.0 mouse or k/b when a USB1.1 works perfectly?

As far as being fast, USB2.0 is about as good as FireWire and a lot later :roll:

For those craving really high speed 1394b is what you should be waiting for.

[http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/About/faq.htm#10]

"1394b is a significant enhancement to the basic 1394 specification that enables speed increases to 3.2 Gigabits/sec, supports distances of 100 meters on UTP-5, plastic optical fiber and glass optical fiber, and significantly reduces latency times by using arbitration pipelining. It is fully backwards compatible with the current 1394-1995 and 1394a specifications

"

Let me give you another example. Let's say you have a 20 GB portable MP3 player (there are several).

Probably why Apple went for FireWire with the iPod.

--

unspec

Probably why Apple went for FireWire with the iPod.

Actually, they went with that because they knew it was fast, and that it wouldn't be a problem with availability. All iMac's and PowerMac G4's have a Firewire port. Not all Pc's have Firewire.

erm that was my point lol

FireWire is fast, it's on all the new Macs and it kicks arse.

Actually, Apple went with FireWire because they created it. They do like to push their own technology. The reason it's standard across the range is a result of this.

Remember USB, the peripheral market really kicked off when the iMac's came out. FireWire is doing the same now.

Damn this thread - now I'm lusting after an iPod again :(

unspec