New Mac purchase..

So how does the G5 compare to the cube? Is it vastly improved even for everyday usage? Reason I ask is that the student store at UCI had dual 1.8's for sale for $1999 (a couple weeks back, but I hope they still do), and for $1999 I think that's a good enough deal to atleast consider not waiting for wwdc. (I don't know the conversion to the pound, but regularly a dual 1.8 is 2499 here, and usually 2299 with student discount).

Edited by SonComet

Wow, it is SOO fast and slick. OS X is very much at my peril now - Thats with Stock (512Mb) RAM. Everything seems pretty damn snappy, Apps that took 10 - 15 bounces (Windows Media Player was a dog...) launches in one. Everything seems like it WANTS to be opened, to be used! heh. It really makes my Cube seem DOG slow, when before I had used this, I was 'content' with my Cube. Window Resize is pretty nice IMO, I've heard people still complain about it, but resizing apps like GarageBand (which generally lagged MOST) seems pretty nice. I personally wouldn't have any complaints... Aqua / OS X feels @ my peril now! :laugh:

Scrolling in Safari is faultless IMO, Neowin for example scrolls full pace, with whatever images and crap are running, its really nice.

It's hard thinking of example, but if you have any questions, sure I'll answer them...

I took 'some' pics and posted some up - They're not great, but well ... if they were, i'd of lost more play time, taking them! :p

http://neyo.spymac.net/g5/

Do _NOT_ use the transformer you have. It will fry it. (the transformer, not your G5).

I have never seen/used a G5 in real life but there should be a voltage selector on the PSU. Use that and then get a plug convertor.

A transformer will _not_ be able to handle the loads that will go through it.

Are you talking about the US / UK convertor plug thing? I only bought it for about a fiver, from Argos... In truth I'm not too worried about America right now - I don't think I'll have my g5 when I go, I'll probably look to sell and get a PowerBook or something anyhow... But yea, I had an idea something drawing such power might cause problems... Afterall our power outlets carry a fairly larger voltage, don't they?

Hey Neyo!!! You did it!!! You have a G5 .... oh, I want it too.... (crying like a baby now... ;) ).

To be serious... there's one thing about performance that I've always wanted to know... have you ever used handbrake? The little apps to encode dvd in divx format? On my iMac G4 1ghz, it took around 10 hours to encode a dvd on my hd (so no ripping) in xvid file full quality. I always wonder how long does it take on a dual G5 2Ghz... :)

can you please try it? You don't even need to encode it totally if you don't need it, you just have to start the process, and handbrake gives you an estimate time, wich i found barely accurate.

Thanks a Lot!!!

Haha!

Sure I can do that... I planned to try it anyhow! I'll let you know. I just been playing the UT2004 Demo online and it seemed weird playing a game like that on a Mac.... Awesome tho! :)

Hey Neyo!!! You did it!!! You have a G5 .... oh, I want it too.... (crying like a baby now... ;) ).

To be serious... there's one thing about performance that I've always wanted to know... have you ever used handbrake? The little apps to encode dvd in divx format? On my iMac G4 1ghz, it took around 10 hours to encode a dvd on my hd (so no ripping) in xvid file full quality. I always wonder how long does it take on a dual G5 2Ghz... :)

can you please try it? You don't even need to encode it totally if you don't need it, you just have to start the process, and handbrake gives you an estimate time, wich i found barely accurate.

Thanks a Lot!!!

:o

Damn this thing REALLY does Rock then! :laugh:

It started off about 1hr 2mins or something... Anyhow, i think the shot shows all the same info. If you want, I could try it with the exact same settings as you did, but i asked a few people, and apparently there initial start time, was MASSIVE! :laugh:

Speedy... heh, thanks man :) Altho you're names not that fitting now! hah j/k :p

I would love a new display, but I am MORE than happy with my gear man! :happy:

post-96-1084147627.jpg

:o

Damn this thing REALLY does Rock then! :laugh:

It started off about 1hr 2mins or something... Anyhow, i think the shot shows all the same info. If you want, I could try it with the exact same settings as you did, but i asked a few people, and apparently there initial start time, was MASSIVE! :laugh:

Speedy... heh, thanks man :) Altho you're names not that fitting now! hah j/k :p

I would love a new display, but I am MORE than happy with my gear man! :happy:

Oh my god!!!!!!

Oh my god!!!!!!

The settings were almost the same as mine.... well i didn't fix the space to 700 mb but leave it to grow, and it's almost 10 times as faster as mine!!!!!

Thanks Steve, now I KNOW I WANT A G5 BADLY!!!!! :D

I still can't believe it..... :woot:

Haha, when i first set it going, I remember saying... 'that can't be accurate' ... in sort of a shocked sense, but indeed it *DID* take that long! That is QUALITY! :)

You need to get one of these man! :D

glad you love it, I wish I had kept mine now but I would of kept it if I could of gotten a faster or a dual G5 :/ anyways I'm saving up for a 12" PB :D what fun

You need to get one of these man! :D

Now I'm sure that before the end of this year I wll have one in my room!!!!!

I'm only gonna wait for WDC2004, and see if revision B really comes out, and maybe at 3 Ghz.... :woot:

Anyway, thanks Steve (can i call you steve?), you placed a milestone on my way! ;)

as i like to keep to one os :p ( even with my phones soon ), i'll "switch" once i finish education :p

atm all my pcs are windows :D, xp pro, xp tablet pc edition (2005), and windows server 2003. even my next phone is on windows ( moto mpx100 i hope :))

only if apple made a tablet pc :(

anyway in a few years, i'll be on what ever apple have out :D prolly g6 ;) osxi never know ;)

nice purchase of the g5 anyway :D have fun with it and use it properly :whistle:

edit: OMFG lookat all the smileys i did?! i must be happy for ya neyo :p

Edited by XiXora

Haha, yea you must be!

I just ordered another computer.

eMac -

1.25GHz G4

256Mb RAM (obvs to be upgraded)

80Gb HD

Radeon 9200 32Mb

SuperDrive

...Ok, before you all start calling me spoilt (LOL) this is my brother's computer, he too like me worked for all the ?'s ... and I just had to use my bank to pay for it, but none-tha-less, its cool getting two new Mac's like these, in sucha small time!:))

One question I do have is,

My G5 didn't come with iLife, which seemed sucky. It came pre-installed with iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie, but no GarageBand and iDVD. Personally I think thats a bit of a 'poor show'. Anyhow, would you expect the eMac to come with the suite, either way i DO NOT feel justified to have to buy the package after paying all this money for their 'top of the line' Mac. :rolleyes:: I would think, the eMac being a consumer machine too, shipping with a SuperDrive, it would come with it, anyone know anything more on it?

Hmmm I just figured something interesting out. I was all ready to buy a 15" powerbook this week (if my mom gets hired at her new job cause then she will give me her old car and then I can get the comp sooner than summer). But I went to my student store and they have brand new dual 1.8's for $2099 and if I get the 20" cinema display with it I would get 300 off (yeah apple says only the 23" but my student store has disounts on all 3 displays). I know that the displays are going to be updated along with the G5's in July, but this seems like a great deal. I wonder if I should jump on this if my mom gets her job? (I'm selling my comp and current monitor to my brother for 700 so this would cost me 2450 after tax). Anyone think the displays will get a new look? Also, will the new G5's be that much better as to make a dual 1.8 for 2099 seem like sort of a bad deal?

I had the same dilemma, about the prospects of Rev. B G5's, speed bumps and all.. But for me, i got a 'deal' on mine, i believe - saved about ?400 - ?500, and got it next day. You could wait another month or so, pre-order and recieve the computer when? In September? ... By that time, you might as well wait til January (2005) for the next speed bumped PowerMac's? LOL... My point is, you can wait around for ever, but I think if you think you're getting a good deal, and its something you want, go for it.

Oh i see... Simon eh? I expected it to be something like 'Giuseppe' or 'Roberto' or something ... you know! heh :p

Well to be honest it's Simone, but most of non-italian people thinnk it's a girl name... :blush:

PS: SonComet.... go for it! Buy it if you have the cash... Steve couldn't be more right, I would have buy it too, if I hadn't to finish pay my iMac first! ;)