Codec Problems

Hi all,

I have a few .avi files that I play in Windows Media Player in WinXP and I have the latest Compressor Decompressor (Codec) which is DivX 4.1 and I have a couple of files that are playing the audio part of the file, but no video :(

Any help would be v.appreciated.

P.S.

I've even tried it in QuickTime 5.0, but still no luck.

Oh, I didn't realise there were different types of DivX 4.1, and the ironic thing is, all my downloads are in two seperate parts:

File 1 - audio

File 2 - video & audio

But this is only on two of my videos, the others work fine, maybe it's something to do with the .avi splitting :s

the file must've been encoded with an older version of divx like pab said. don't bother getting the older divx versions..stick with 4.1.. it'll play almost all videos encoded with the 3.11 divx but not all. the more people who move to 4.1, the more videos will get encoded with it and it'll be for the better

ah right, so...if one was to revert back to 3.1 - I could re-encode it somehow to 4.1, and then go back to 4.1

oh god, that sounds complicating - I think I'll just stick with this code.

Thanks for the help :ninja:

yuh its confusing.. thank god they increased the compatibility percent for 4.0 final though..you should've seen it while in beta.. it could barely play any file encoded with an earlier version..blegh

There are other codecs out there similar to DivX, and they all use *.avi.. SMR is the only one I know of off-hand.. Not sure if it's a variant of DivX, or a codec on it's own.. Might wanna check Google out for that one.

Thanks for the info, I just tried SMR Codec 4.1 but still no luck. With version 4.1 (Final) I allowed it during setup to accept all DivX 3.1 content, so it's very confusing as Spyder said.

Why can't they stick to a single updatable codec that reads all .avi files.

I can still watch the 2nd part of the movie, but not the 1st file :(

If your movie is in 2 parts and 1 works but not the other then there is probably something wrong with the part that doesn't work. It is not likely that someone would encode each half with a different codec.

I agree that all of these codecs and crap is confusing..

Over the years of watching DiVx movies i have sorta found out this puzzle...

If its an AVI file, try and use a program Called "The Playa"

Its a real nice player.

Get it here: "Http://www.divx-digest.com"

And also try getting "Divx 3.1 Alpha" codec while your there...

If its an older Divx movie, that might help..

Good luck!

:D