Complete Upgrades

All I know, is that I have a Pentium III 450 MHz and 128 Mb RAM PC100 ATM. What can you tell from that?

I will be chaging my RAM to something faster eventually (e.g. at least SDRAM), so it MUST support both types (my current slow RAM, and at least SDRAM)

If your current RAM is in 168-pin DIMM format (which I am sure it is because it is PC100) then it will work in all motherboards except those made for DDR RAM like I said.

But if you are thinking about upgrading the rest, why not the RAM as well? It is the cheapest part of the system at the moment!

Because the cheapest Athlon setup I can find is ?190 from www.overclockers.co.uk, and that's already a lot of money as it is! Although you'd think ?220 isn'thati> much more, it is to me! :) I'm 15! Where am I going to get ?220 from?! :) I can't wait until Christmas, because that's three and a half months away, and I've had my current computer (processor) for almost two years! (Xmas 99) :)

I did a lot of research into them before buying (looking at gaming benchmarks etc.) and they seemed great back then anyway. In some cases, the Duron beat the old versions of the Athlon at the same clock speed! I am sure the new Athlons can beat it easily but look how much more they cost!

hmm, think celeron II, then you won't need another motherboard it will save you some money. and with PC133 memory you can overclock a Celeron II 800 to 1066Mhz :)

I know it works because I own one!

btw.

TIP!

AMD CPU's tend to get hot.

And you really need to have a good CPU-cooler when you go for an AMD processor. And good CPU-coolers cost money...

And maybe you also need an other powersupply ThunderbirdCPUs guzzle power, 300Watts minimum for an 1.4Ghz Thunderbird.