Problem with new hard drive

I just bought a new Maxtor 160gb (5400 rpm) hard drive. But for some reason (after formatting and everything) it shows it as 127gb total (137,427,943,424 bytes), even in Partition Magic 7. I know that it shouldn't be exactly 160gb because of how they measure it (1,000 bytes = kilobyte, which isn't correct), but it shouldn't be 127 gb. I know someone that has a Maxtor 160gb hd and after formatting and everything it's 152gb... And also:

30gb 5400rpm (Primary, master)

160gb 5400 (Secondary, slave)

SCSI box with four 18.5gb SCSI hard drives.

Motherboard: ECS K7S5A with the latest BIOS.

Windows XP, NTFS.

[EDIT] By the way, this was a bare drive. I didn't get anything with it. [/EDIT]

NTFS.

Someone said that I should have formatted it with Maxtor's disk that came with it. But this was a bare drive, it didn't come with anything. Maybe that's it...

[EDIT] On Maxtor's site they had the disk thing to download (MaxBlast Plus II) but it doesn't support NT, 2000, or XP and I'm using XP (NTFS). The disk will probably make it FAT32 and partition it because I don't think FAT32 supports 160gb partitons. [/EDIT]

are the jumpers set right? some drives have jumper configs which cause drive clipping, in other words force the drive to be a smaller size for compatibility reasons.

or

Check your BIOS to make sure it supports disks of that size.

Hmm, I've read this and this. I've done the registry entry (I had to create it because there wasn't one already there), but still 127gb. And there's kinda another problem. I can't restart my computer until I backup my stuff onto the 160gb hard drive. Just about an hour ago I pressed delete on the WINDOWS dir (I meant to delete something else and I have it set so that it doesn't ask me if I want to delete it or not and also the recycling bin is disabled, I find it kind of annoying) and it started deleting files so I pressed cancel real quick. So I think I only have this Windows session. I don't think it'll boot up next time.

Your system Doesn't support 48 Bit Logical Addressing For Drives Up to 144 PB!!! (or 14,400TB or 144,000GB)

You Need a New PCI IDE Controller Card With "BIG DRIVE SUPPORT" In Order To Use This Drive

Your BIOS Probably Can only do.. i think 32BIT Addressing which is a MAX of 127/137GB!! Since Your Drive is 160GB Its Not Going To Work and it'll make the appearance that your drive is not its full size!!

Quote to explain:: "Maxtor Corporation announced today, in conjunction with Compaq Computer Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, VIA Technologies and others, support for the industry's next generation ATA interface standard that breaks the 137GB barrier for ATA hard drives. This breakthrough allows the creation of ATA hard drives that can access more than 100,000 times more data than the current 137GB interface standard. "The "Big Drive" interface initiative succeeds in breaking through the barrier with an upgraded ATA interface allowing for up to 48 bits of address space on a single drive, and therefore the maximum capacity of an ATA device up to 144PB."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You Basically Need a Controller Card That Supports 48Bit!!!

This One Will Work...

Promise Ultra ATA 133TX2 --

Promise Technology > ATA Controllers >Ultra133 TX2

The Formatting Doesn't Matter FAT32 or NTFS.. But NTFS is Much Better For These Big Ones!! Get This Product Above and you'll be 160GB Bigger Than You Used To Be :)

--- Good Luck ---

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go order that now... =/

Also, after I have the new ATA133 controller, will I have to format it? Can I go ahead and put stuff on it?

and you can do that from inside of XP, since its your slave drive....

reformat it, because you probably have only formatted 127GB of it..

use NTFS....No Joke!

When you get this controller, hook up your Hard Drives Too It, and Leave Your Other IDE Devices Hooked to your Motherboard for example

CDROM or CDRW, ZIP, etc.

I know, I use NTFS anyways. =P

Thanks for your help.

I think I know what'll work though.

Maybe once I get the new IDE controller I can format the unformatted / unpartitioned space separately and then join it with Partition Magic 7. Do you think that'll work? Again, thanks for the help.

Don't Fool With Partmagic, just Get the drive setup...and then later on do the part magic crap...seriously!!

Get It Working Properly First!