What is Ubisoft's secret?

I own Halo, UT2K4, and Far Cry. What I am wondering is how did Ubisoft make the graphics on Far Cry so amazing? Medium detail on FC is way better than high on Halo and UT2K4. And will we see more games based on this graphics type engine?And if so what and when??? :woot:

Not sure myself how they did it but I agree, Far Cry kicks @$$. Hopefully we will see the game engine used again.

Didnt some german company built the Crytek engine ? UbiSoft is a banner, correct me if I am wrong.

How did they do it ? I think they used Shaders & bump mapping more than the other games.

The reason why Far Cry looks so "great" is probably the same reason it runs at a speed which I considder unplayable, where as Halo and UT2004 run very well.

The reason why Far Cry looks so "great" is probably the same reason it runs at a speed which I considder unplayable, where as Halo and UT2004 run very well.

Idiot. Do you have any idea on the specs of HALO, and how long ago it was? it's about the same as the specs for farcry NOW, what six months later? Stupid people upset me.

Unplayable? As long as you have a DirectX 9 video card and a modern CPU, I think you should be able to play it on medium with a decent frame rate.

Idiot. Do you have any idea on the specs of HALO, and how long ago it was? it's about the same as the specs for farcry NOW, what six months later? Stupid people upset me.

Moron. The only reason why I compared to Halo is because it was compared to by the topic starter. People with moronic names like 'chickemoney' deserve to die. Now, either go kill yourself or shut the hell up.

Unplayable? As long as you have a DirectX 9 video card and a modern CPU, I think you should be able to play it on medium with a decent frame rate.

I am dead before the enemies could even be drawn on the screen, which I considder unplayable. That is if I can get it to load without exiting to the desktop.

You are right but there is always a better way of responding than name-calling.

Moron. The only reason why I compared to Halo is because it was compared to by the topic starter. People with moronic names like 'chickemoney' deserve to die. Now, either go kill yourself or shut the hell up.

No need for such posts either. Lets stay on topic people...FarCry has some amazing graphics. I too would like to see future titles using the Crytek engine. :)

Well, if we all knew that, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? ;) Really, though, the graphical fidelity of a game relies on several factors: the quality and resolution of the textures being used; the type of effects being applied to the textures; and the interaction between textures and the environment (which can include people, trees, light, shadows, etc.). For Far Cry, Ubisoft simply increases the detail in the textures being used in the game, uses advanced shader technologies to make the textures more realistic, and creates intricately detailed physics, shadow, and lighting engines, and viola! It has a very good-looking game. The trade-off is that performance is shot to heck when all of the high-tech shader effects that today's videocards can't really handle well are applied. I'm not sure there is any sort of "secret" to Far Cry's visual quality. Somebody just spent a lot of time tweaking and improving textures and the graphics engine.

Well, if we all knew that, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? ;) Really, though, the graphical fidelity of a game relies on several factors: the quality and resolution of the textures being used; the type of effects being applied to the textures; and the interaction between textures and the environment (which can include people, trees, light, shadows, etc.). For Far Cry, Ubisoft simply increases the detail in the textures being used in the game, uses advanced shader technologies to make the textures more realistic, and creates intricately detailed physics, shadow, and lighting engines, and viola! It has a very good-looking game. The trade-off is that performance is shot to heck when all of the high-tech shader effects that today's videocards can't really handle well are applied. I'm not sure there is any sort of "secret" to Far Cry's visual quality. Somebody just spent a lot of time tweaking and improving textures and the graphics engine.

Yeah but in the past games either had great graphics or great gameplay, not both. Farcry has amazing everything.

lets review:

-Halo

-Far Cry

-POP2:SOT

-Splinter Cell (PT)

I ask you do not all of these games rock. Go Ubisoft!

edit: I dont know what your talking about :p

Edited by insurektion

lets review:

-Halo

-Far Cry

-POP2:SOT

-Splinter Cell (PT)

-UT2k4

I ask you do not all of these games rock. Go Ubisoft!

Ubisoft didn't do UT2k4.

Isn't Ubisoft just a publisher? They don't actually make the games themselves do they?

First of, Ubi is only the publisher; they did not develop the game.

As for your question as to why the Unreal Engine is used more than the Crytek engine - well, that's simple.

1. The Unreal engine has been out far longer than Crytek's engine. FarCry has been out what, 4 months? The Unreal engine gets updated here and there. I imagine we won't see any big advancement from Epic until the Unreal Warfare engine is out.

2. The Unreal engine is tried and true. The Crytek engine is in it's infancy.

As for Halo, the game has actually been out for years (remember, it was release on the XBox first). Not many updates were made to bring it to the PC. Yes, DX9 is used, but nothing too exciting.

Ubisoft didn't do UT2k4.

Isn't Ubisoft just a publisher? They don't actually make the games themselves do they?

UT2K4 = Atari

Halo = Microsoft

Yes the game was made by Crytek but Ubi slapped an azz load of Ubilogos on it.

Upset people upset me.

VALIUM

What I am wondering is how did Ubisoft make the graphics on Far Cry so amazing?

UBI Soft is a publisher, that means they had exactly nothing, zip, nada to do with the development of the engine itself. So any secret to the impressive graphics would be the property of the devteam, which is an independent company.

Also, UT2K4 was not MADE by Atari. Atari is a publisher JUST like UBI Soft these days. In fact, Atari is the chosen alias of Infogrames, and they are most likely only using it to gain some credibility in the oldschool gamer community. I'm not laughing.

And I would highly doubt that Microsoft actually MADE Halo. When it comes to games, Microsoft loves publishing games under their "MS Game Studios" label but in fact I have yet to see even one game actually made within Microsoft offices. ALL of them have been made by independent companies and then licensed to MS.

So for all intents and purposes, all games mentioned in this thread were made by skilled independents and then the big guys (MS, Infogrames and UBI) just slapped their big-name logos on them. A practice with which I am not entirely comfortable, because it makes people think the publishers are developers and moves the focus from the people with the skills, who deserve credits for their hard work.

you my friend must be doing something wrong, I get 40+ fps, and that is definately playable for me

When it comes to games, Microsoft loves publishing games under their "MS Game Studios" label but in fact I have yet to see even one game actually made within Microsoft offices. ALL of them have been made by independent companies and then licensed to MS.

Hello?

Minesweeper & Solitare?

You can't tell me you've never played those.

Hello?

Minesweeper & Solitare?

You can't tell me you've never played those.

Were they ever released as a separate commercial package? No, didn't think so. :) But you are right, Minesweeper is just about the only funny program in a vanilla Windows installation... :D

In my rant post above, I'm reffering more to MS recent forays into PC games, with titles like Midtown Madness 3, Zoo Tycoon, Age of Empires series, Freelancer, Crimson Skies and the rest, all of which were developed out-of-house and then published under the umbrella "MS Game Studios" label, without hardly a mention of the real developers.