Is DSL decent enough to play online games?

Yes, i have Verizon Online DSL and i love it much better then the cable that i had in the past. Great consistent reliable speeds. Also, this summer verizon is offering 3/768 speeds.

SBC Yahoo, I love my dsl. Acts a lot faster than most cable even though is 320Kbps/128Kbps.

Plus I can host 8 people with pings less than 75 on a Rocket Area 3 (Quake3 version) gameserver.

logo_part.gif

I have cox high speed internet here in san diego and quite often i get some wicked d/l speeds. Advertised is around 500k/b per sec but i have hit a tunnel or something but i hit 1.6 m/b per sec every now and then. WICKED FAST!!

I have cox high speed internet here in san diego and quite often i get some wicked d/l speeds. Advertised is around 500k/b per sec but i have hit a tunnel or something but i hit 1.6 m/b per sec every now and then. WICKED FAST!!

yea with ie it dls slower so use fire fox ie i get about 100/kbs

fire fox 1mb

I am not sure why everyone is claiming to have such a drastic improvement in download speeds with Firefox since it is across the same protocol as Internet Explorer, it only renders pages more quickly. DSL is the preferred connection for casual gamers as it is essentially a dedicated line and you are guaranteed a fixed bandwidth allowance as opposed to cable which reflects on current network conditions.

I am not sure why everyone is claiming to have such a drastic improvement in download speeds with Firefox since it is across the same protocol as Internet Explorer, it only renders pages more quickly. DSL is the preferred connection for casual gamers as it is essentially a dedicated line and you are guaranteed a fixed bandwidth allowance as opposed to cable which reflects on current network conditions.

with my 2mb cable, i get at least 1300k during busy times so, but that couls also be the speed tests, cuz im DL from ATI the cat 4.4 at 264KB/s

with my 2mb cable, i get at least 1300k during busy times so, but that couls also be the speed tests, cuz im DL from ATI the cat 4.4 at  264KB/s

Yeah, that is the advantage of cable since it seemingly has no boundaries and can far exceed what a DSL line is capable of if the ISP is under friendly conditions. But there is an issue of reliability compared to a true dedicated line, but if you can look past that - cable is a great service for gamers. I actually had lower pings on my old cable connection than I do at the moment with my 512/256 DSL line (Soon to be 2MB) but I always had difficulty issues around up-times and bandwidth peeks when the ISP was busy with overloads.

Then again, if I had the proper monthly income I would have a T1 line in my home. :p

i have sbc 1.5mbps/128kbps and it's freakin great!! i moved up from 56k in january and it's a huge difference in games

incase some people didnt know, when he says 2000kbps he means kilobytes persecond, not nits. so divide that number and you will have his theoretical maximum

i have telus...whats in ur area

:devil: Telus :devil: Shaw Cable all the way. I constantly got disconnected on ADSL. They said I was too far away from the servers. I know thats a lie because before they got bought off it worked. They over load the max capacity for each server and the lines became weak. I got mac 200K speeds. Shaw I get like 500-700K speeds.

But yah DSL is fine for games.

i have tried both dsl and cable and i can say that cable is better for online play also if you have lowspeed cable bcuz the anser time is faster but its not a BIG difference

You should be getting the DSL modem from your DSL provider, if you have to pay then look for another DSL provider.

Note that there are many different speeds available for DSL, and there are separate speeds for upload and download. Download speed is usually much higher than the upload speed, since most people retrieve more data than they post.

I am using 2048 kbps download speed and 256 kbps upload speed, and that works great for my purposes even though it would be overkill for most peoples needs. I would not recommend any speeds (ul/dl) lower than 348 kbps, and I would recommend at least 768 kbps download speed --but it really depends on your usage pattern and needs...

Note that you can not use a regular modem or ISDN modem, you need a DSL modem. An alternative to DSL modem is a cable modem from your cable TV company. Check web sites for your telephone company and cable company to see what is available, and do some Google searches too if you want more info (or just ask the neowinians).

Good luck with your broadband plans --your life will never be the same, people will start to tell you to get one.... :-)

I have Charter cable internet, and I pay for 2MB/s for $35 a month, but most of the time it goes @ around 3MB/s, I love it. Always have pings below 85.

2000kbps he means kilobytes persecond, not nits. so divide that number and you will have his theoretical maximum

No...he means kilobits(kb), not kilobytes (KB). So 2000kb is a bit less than 250KB/sec (8bits=1byte)

Any form of broadband is perfect for gaming. Hosting is another matter however.

I have found DSL to be more reliable than cable. But I recommend you do some research since some cable companies like Comcast recently upgraded their cable offering to be faster.

I am not sure why everyone is claiming to have such a drastic improvement in download speeds with Firefox since it is across the same protocol as Internet Explorer, it only renders pages more quickly.

about:config