City of Heroes on dialup

Hey everyone,

I'm stuck on the 28.8k superhighway *cough*, due to phone line issues in my housing estate. There is no broadband available, and ISDN and Satelite don't seem worth it to me ($150 a month for 1GB of download, no thanks).

Anyway, that aside, I'm wondering if any fellow dialuperer can report whether City of Heroes works reasonably okay on dialup. I know that the system req. state that they will work on a dial up modem, but I was hoping for someone here to let me know, I don't trust the box.

By the way, I play FFXI on 28.8k and it works just fine. Warping is very rare. The only thing about being on 28.8k is that the updates for FFXI take about 30 hours to download (they're freakin' huge).

Thanks people!

I think you should be fine. THis is just a guess ince i am playing on a massive dual cable line I cant be for cetrain (6mbps/720kbps) but u may experience some lost connection to mapserver until the new patch comes out. Even I get them for some bugged reason. If u do play it I suggest you always go to the duplicate city (kings row 2 over kings row 1) since they are created on demand and have less lag. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!

Thanks for the reply serox. After googling like a madman about dialup performance on CoH, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and pick up a copy.

Worst case scenario is that performance will be unbearable and I'll just need to wait until I get broadband to play, which will be disappointing but won't be THAT big of a deal.

EQ charges what? $10? $12.99? $15 is reasonable FOR WHAT THEY OFFER. (allow me to explain before you flame)

In the most recent issue of GameDeveloper they break down EQ's marketingplan. EQ is expected to release Two(2) thats right TWO expansions EVERY YEAR. Each one going for $49.99. Thats insane, EQ is hugew, too huge, so huge that a new player wold be overwhelmed. When the last tiem EQ gave you a FREE update? Excatly, With the exception of "City of Villians" there will be no expansion packs, and CoV will be a whole new game (Just like EQ2 is different from EQ1).

Personaly, im on satalite and i have freinds who play CoH on 56k. IT runs good for them.

why is every one comparing this game to EQ, i hate EQ

and for a person that never payed any monthly fees to play any game, thats allot

it should be like $5 a month

I just had to say that I freakin love this game, best game I've played in a long while.

Girlfriend now has it too....

her brother is getting it today, hes on dialup.

So ya, this game rox.

why is every one comparing this game to EQ, i hate EQ

and for a person that never payed any monthly fees to play any game, thats allot

it should be like $5 a month

I am in your shoes. CoH is the first game I payed monthly for and I find it is worth it. No longer am I turned away by the monthly fee on the label as I once was. If anything it just makes me research and be more picky when deciding what game to buy so I dont waste my money. In my eyes, the days of shopping by box art are over! We compare it to EQ because EQ is the most successful MMORPG and the most well known.

Also I just read that Game Developer Magazine article this afternoon and they do have a good market plan. It just does not fit all users since some do not want to buy expansions in order to keep enjoying the game, others would rather do that then pay more per month. It is all about the audience you want to target. Great article though! :D