Wireless Networking

Question

Roger H.

Hey... is it possiible to use 2 PCI WAN (PCI adapters with PCMCIA NICs in them) or in my case.. a PCI WAN and a PCMCIA card in my laptop without the need for a Router with built in WAN? The Router would be like atleast $100 and i only have about $130 so i'd buy the PCI WAN card and 2 PCMCIA NICs and load them up!

WAN = Wide Area Network using Wireless card and the 802.11B protocol.

4 answers to this question

JustinLerner

It should be possible to use multiple NIC's whether LAN or WAN in a PC or laptop provided you system is physically capable of the connection.

As for routing, bridging, forwarding, proxy/firewalls in conjuction with such NIC's, that's another matter.

cranch

I think it may have some bearing on what type of cards you get and what OS you would like to run. Are you trying to turn your PC into a Wireless Access Point?

Example:

PC is connected to incoming internet connection (say cable). Cable connection goes to main system through ethernet. The PC would then convert that to use the Wireless card to send that connection to the other PC's??

Roger H.

yeah.. i got my cable connection to my main PC and i never turn it off so i wanted to use it as the "access point." Like what i do now with a crossover cable and my PCMCIA 10/100 card and 2 PCI Network cards in my main system. Shouldn't it be possible? I'd like to lay in bed and be on the net without this long ass cord draggin behind me but i guess if it's not possible i'd just go get the wireless router.

Techneaux

Nope, no need for the router. I don't know how well it works, but you can communicate wireless card to wireless card without a WAP. I'd assume it'd work fine.