ICS, Router Question

Can the cable modem plug directly into a network card in my computer then have the connection go back out through another NIC to a cable/dsl router which would provide the other computers in this house with ips and a net connection?

It can, but by far the easiest way is to get yourself a Cable/DSL router with intergrated switch, (forget all about ICS). That way you connect your cable modem to the router/switch and all the PC's connect to the switch. Otherwise the PC acting as a router will always need to be on for the others to gain net access.

thats the way are network was setup, but for some reason like everyday the connection would just drop, and the only way to get access to the net again was by unplugging the router, and then plugging it back in

I guess what id like to know is say Adelphia assigns us the ip 25.24.24.223 we then plug the cable modem into our router which connects to all of the houses computers. Adelphia doesnt use static IP addresses instead every 3 hours they checkt to see if the ip is still pingable if it is they re "lease" the up to us again. going through a router as long as were using the internet. should the ip be leased again. or since they arent using static ips, do you think that might be whats causing the network connection being dropped and maybe wed be better off going through ICS?? please respond someone

If it makes a difference, I'm pretty sure you can reboot most home routers by connecting to it via a browser. May be easier than unplugging it to reboot....

I use the Netgear RT314 Router/Switch, and because I NEVER turn the router off, I have had the same IP address for over 6 months, and this is supposedly a 3 hour lease, so you should have no trouble at all. Basically if you leave the Router on it will always be pingable. Even if you turn it off it should pick up a new IP again anyhow, so no need to worry.

p.s. and yes I can "reboot" the router from a browser