[LINUX] installFedora core2 on VirtualPC / VMWare

Got same problem, it can't start X(probably because it needs to use vesa since drivers for vmware isn't installed).

And after grub the keyboard gets very laggy, either it wont accept you press a key on it, or it will take it a couple of minutes for it to figure out.

In Virtual PC .. it restarts again and again after comple intallation .... and in VMware ... the login screen just flashes every three second .. just cant type anything in it.

I tried installing Core 2 under Virtual PC 2004.

I get a bunch of segmentation faults, then a respawning too fast error.

I tried to get help, no one seems to know how to fix it.

The possibilites I've gotten are:

reinstall x.org

configure x.org (but every command I try when I do alt+f3 and login gives a seg fault)

it could be a problem with the file-system being read-only (very possible. When I try to create a new file and save it using nano, I get a read-only filesystem error. But when I do 'mount', it shows that /dev/hda2 is mounted and is read-write.)

I was told that if you boot using '-disableopt' it will work but very slowly. I don't see any place to do this though, I don't get a boot prompt :blink:

well first ROFLOL @ DarkLordSouron

ok back to topic. I hovered on many fedora forums around net .. and i found X.org in fed core2 either works in vmware or it doesnt ..

so when my x falied and i logged in command promp .. i renamed xorg.conf to diff name and init6 ... then there was expected messages like x is no configured and sh1t .. then after configuring it x again crashed .. but this time ... i renamed the xorg.conf.bak to xorg.conf and init6 .....

when i rebooted ... the FINAL stage of installation continued and in the end i LOGGED into KDE :) :) :) :) :)

this was my sol ... i was so relieved at 5 in morning ... it felt like visiting pamela andersen ... ok donno where that came from .... but i mean i slept like baby in 5.30am :D

I got Fedora2 running nice under vmware, but if you want X to work, install vmware tools first. Next time you restart, it will work.

But I have a problem getting X to work when I reset my machine and go to Fedora through dualboot (not vmware)...I don't know how to setup my video card and monitor, there is no config tool included, which is really lame :(

I used to run Fedora in VMWare and while it is nice, it still not really what I wanted. So I made a Fedora Core 2 / Windows XP dualboot and that works amazingly well :)

Fedora on full speed is so much nicer then in a virtual machine.

I got Fedora2 running nice under vmware, but if you want X to work, install vmware tools first. Next time you restart, it will work.

But I have a problem getting X to work when I reset my machine and go to Fedora through dualboot (not vmware)...I don't know how to setup my video card and monitor, there is no config tool included, which is really lame :(

You can't get your video to work when booting non-virtual? And what is this about no config tools? During an install, it probes, and then allows you to check/set/change. Sounds like all the tools are there.

Perhaps I mis-understand your post? :unsure:

When I boot non-virtual, there is kudzu that tells me which hardware has changed. Okay, but it only detects changes on my ethernet card and sound card. Then when everything should start it tells me no display found or something and that's it. I tried running system-config-display, but it does nothing. 'X -configure' doesn't work, since there is no X there, only Xorg or startx work, but they both crash when I run them, saying no display device found.

Which tools do you guys use to set up display? Or do you just edit the xf86config file? What do I have to enter for nvidia card (geforce4)?

RedHat has their own flavors of configuration tools.

At the shell prompt, type redhat-config then press [TAB]. One of those options will be named display or something like that. Use that program (I think it is graphical, but uses a standard VESA-compliant mode for compatiblilty), and it will ask some questions.

I got Fedora working under VMware and I don't think you need to do as kyro.

There seems to be some problem with using a to high color depth. Turn it down to 16 bit on the host computer. It seems the vmware virtual videocard interacts somehow with the desktops settings.

Later after the first boot you can change the config to 32bit again and everything works fine (for me at least).

Or it's because I installed saying I had a LCD not CRT (haven't tried to do it again choosing CRT).

Either way... stupid VMware....