Win Xp Woes

Well after two weeks of "evaluation" on the Xp 2600, I am off the boat. This OS is too slow. Windows 2000 SP2 run significantly quicker on my machine and it also shuts down and reboots without blowing up in my face.

Built in stuff in Xp is nice but at the cost of speed and stability.. no thanks.

easy cd creator burns mp3 --> cda ten times quicker then the built in wmp decoder

terminal services and fast user switching are the only things that i can say i will miss, but isnt that why we have third party applications.. pcAnywhere, vnc viewer

simple file sharing - blah.. stupid.

built in firewall has some serious holes in it.

win xp = too many wizards. it will be great for the average user though.

i look forward to your responses.

I find that personally the benefits outway the slowness in XP. But everyone is different and has a different computer and way of using it. In my case I cannot rely on 2K anyway because it hangs at random between 1 minute and a few hours of use, which makes it unusable for anything really. XP on the other hand has been far more stable, and I really appreciate all the little (and not so little) extra features available. Like QuaKeD said though we are probably all going to be using it eventually for one reason or another because that is how things will go.

the biggest XP problem is the insane shutdown time. is that also an issue in 2000 and NT, as i understand it? it's friggin nuts. how long does it take to turn off or restart the damn thing?

there's no possible way that i have 30 seconds worth of options to save every time i shut down. any way to fix this?

Ok XP starts fast but....

You have to wait still before you can actually start a program.

Several programs are starting after "the menu" has been activated.

You can select all you want but the programs will have to wait until XP has finished loading crap in the background.

I think this should be taken into account when "calculating" bootup time. I feel all WinXP users are being fooled when it comes to faster start-up times.

I agree with you, XP has too many wizards which sometime annoys me, also it's not that customizable, ie. Add/Remove Program didn't include most of the software, or the some software in each package, I would like to change my My Computer view back to the way it was in 98, not in section like this.. oh well.. I can go on and on... But overall it's a nice OS :)

Zettai!

I am using WinXP 2600 on my 900 mhz with 384meg ram. After it loads the windows and the startmenu becomes functionable, I still have to wait like 2 minutes before I can do anything like start my program. I don't know if its an exception in my case because of network or internet sharing, but when I ctrl-alt-delete, I see the processor is 100% in use during that two minutes. M$ should change the startup time on their documentation to 5-6 minutes, because thats how long it takes before you can do anything on your computer.