Nice clean linux distro

Now I've done a bit of looking around and ALOT of installing of different distro's and I always get ****ed off at all the branding that the different companies do to linux like mandrake and redhat. I want to be able to boot into gnome or kde and not have a blue curve redhat screen come up. Basically is there a distro where everything is left as default as if you just downloaded it from gnome or kde and installed it yourself. I've been trying to install gentoo but its alot of work to set up. Does it install with alot of branding included or what? Anyhow just looking for a lil help here. Not trying to start a "which is better" war or anything like that.

Thanx in advance

Now I've done a bit of looking around and ALOT of installing of different distro's and I always get ****ed off at all the branding that the different companies do to linux like mandrake and redhat. I want to be able to boot into gnome or kde and not have a blue curve redhat screen come up. Basically is there a distro where everything is left as default as if you just downloaded it from gnome or kde and installed it yourself. I've been trying to install gentoo but its alot of work to set up. Does it install with alot of branding included or what? Anyhow just looking for a lil help here. Not trying to start a "which is better" war or anything like that.

Thanx in advance

gentoo is all about choice. you choose how you want things done, they don't choose for you. so your answer is there is no branding. :happy:

Well guess I'll bite the bullet and give gentoo another run. Gotta learn somehow... Still if there is another distro out there like that...but with an easier install let me know.

Thanx

I would definitely try slackware - the speed of something like gentoo (well, apart from all the compiler optimisations that some people do...) and it is linux "au naturelle"; all software is delivered as it was provided by its creators.

Slackware also has a very lively and friendly community. Give it a try; as they say "Once you go slack, you never go back" ;)

gentoo is all about choice. you choose how you want things done, they don't choose for you. so your answer is there is no branding. :happy:

And, if you want to get away from even Gentoo's customizations, you can do Linux From Scratch with a "Vanilla" kernel.

Only if these things are a big issue for you. As for me, I am happy with my RedHat-flavored Fedora Core. :yes:

Whatever works. (Y)

I tryed lfs and got bored really fast cuz i want something that is right up to date....i also like fedora core also. lots of promise with it but too many things are locked down and a pain in the ass to unlock...trust me I googled my ass off yesterday on fedora core. Thats just my opinion though

Duh the answer is debian. Apt-get is the best way. It installs the base linux system and if you need anything you just.... apt-get install firebird. and it downloads and installs. Easy as pie.

Duh the answer is debian. Apt-get is the best way. It installs the base linux system and if you need anything you just.... apt-get install firebird. and it downloads and installs. Easy as pie.

Disclaimer: I used Knoppix to get to Debian because I can't be bothered to attempt to install Debian directly.

What repositories are you using?

root@knopbox:/home/knoppix# apt-get install firefox
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package firefox
root@knopbox:/home/knoppix# apt-get install firebird
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package firebird
root@knopbox:/home/knoppix#

I CAN do a apt-get install mozilla-firefox (or mozilla-firebird) but that's only because I've added some unofficial repositories to the standard ones. It still lists the version as 0.8-9 even though my default archive it set to "experimental" and it hasn't changed in weeks. Because of this, I install the nightly builds manually on top of the apt-get firefox location and the good news is that FireFox still appears in the automated Debian menus.

MadCap: Try Debian. It's nice, and it has none of the crap. I have plain, vanilla Gnome 2.4, and I love it. They do add a debian menu though, but you can just ignore it and it dosn't get in the way at all.

Fred666: It's in unstable main: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/mozilla-firefox

Perhaps it was added to the unstable main about the same time that I added some repos for Fluxbox nightlies and gmplayer.

That's still version 0.8-9 :(

I started with that version (well I started before that, but it wiped it out to do a clean install) and it installed the automatic entries in the Debian menu system and since them I've been manually installing nightlies overtop.

doesnt matter what distro you choose you can install different themes if you dont want to redhat branded theme, or install gnome / kde from source :)

I would say get something like Fedora or Slack and if you have to just do a customised install. Thats what I've done for my Fedora and so far so good. Only reason I can see myself going to Windows is to use the day to day basis SW that are MS dependent.

Brgs

Try arch linux.

www.archlinux.org

686 precompiled binaries and all that in a very nice package system.

I agree wholeheartedly

By my definition it resembles precompiled gentoo. Very clean, very straightforward, and has a package manager similar to very apt-get

any distro with a 2.6 kernel should be fine with sata raid.

Unfortunately most of the motherboards which support SATA RAID-0, are using software RAID, not hardware. So a driver is required to install Linux in such a RAID array.

I second it! Debian GNU/Linux has so far been the best. Build on a base system and put on only what is required.

Well I hit up the gentoo and am now in the midst of installing it...after printing off the 130+ page guide. I've made it to installing Grub and got that work but mucked something with the filesystems up along the way....so off to play with that for awhile. After I'm tired with that or if it just ****es me off I'll give Debian a try. I'm sure there is one out there. I have to say gentoo is the longest install process ever....but at least it forces you to understand the system from the very ground up.

Thanx for the help. I'll check back later with another update.

Well I do believe I just about have the gentoo sorted out. What A LONG painful install...but very worth it. One of these days I may take a swipe at Debian. Sounds like it has a bunch of support in the forum. For now though looks like its the Gentoo way. And for any newbies I would recommend Gentoo because you do EVERYTHING from the ground up and it FORCES you to LEARN.....everything. Good stuff for lazy people :p

Debian would be nicer if apt was a pain in the ass sometimes. I used to use Debian, but the stable/unstable/testing bull**** bugged the hell out of me. Gentoo is great.